Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Failed to predict the future :(

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Turnip, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I was on my way into the hills this morning to catch up with a friend I haven't seen in years. Almost there and a 4WD made a right hand turn across my path without looking. Another car (ahead of me) had just turned the corner and I was maybe 2-3 seconds behind that car as it completed the turn. I was in the left wheel track as I was climbing a hill and approaching a right hand bend.

I saw the car begin the turn and reacted immediately, braking hard and quickly decided to aim to go behind it, but I didn't have room to swerve much. Clipped the back end and knocked off her bumper, went over the bars and landed on the road.

I got up and hit the kill switch just in case, and the driver came to help and called me an ambulance. Another guy who saw it happen came over and helped too, then the next guy who stopped was my friend. He knew I had a bike, and thought it was a good chance that it was me when he saw me up ahead. Not exactly the morning we had planned, but he hung around with me at the hospital and still had a chance to catch up.

Ambo's took me off in a neck brace and all that, even though I knew I was fine. My leg's really sore but it's not broken. I'm able to walk (limp) without crutches now though, so it's getting better pretty quickly.

Bike's written off - parts alone would cost more than it's worth. Guess I'll have to hurry up and get my car back on the road until I get a new bike.

I also have an iPhone-shaped bruise on my leg, and just discovered a few minutes ago that while it seems to be working, it won't connect to my computer anymore. Hopefully insurance will cover it.

2. Hopefully insurance will cover it?
    You have a device that no longer works because someone else caused an accident.
    Therefore it is her insurance that needs to cover it. And there is no hopefully about it. You incurred an expense for the driving actions of an individual they have insured. Claim it, and if they buck then demand it.

3. The other drivers insurance will most certainly cover it.

I'm an Insurance Broker by trade. Liability is my specialty. If you have any issues, or need some guidance, send me a PM and I'll be happy to give you some steps to take which will ensure you get looked after.

4. Thanks for that. I'll go and see apple and get a repair quote (or replace) and pass it on to my insurance company they can claim it from hers.
    Noticibly F.A.T: Appreciate that :) I'll let you know if I have any trouble.

5. Glad you're OK. Love your optimism, too!

6. Lucky you came out of it pretty much all right. Did the police pin it on the driver who decided to turn in front of you when they should have waited? If they did then I'm glad the "you hit me from behind so it's your fault" general rule is being bypassed to prevent motorists abusing it. There's someone who makes me throw out my anchors at least once per fortnight because they decide to turn then go like a turtle. They should be waiting for more space just like the road rules say, not making everyone brake for them.

7. I am not a lawyer - but if someone turns in front of me or enters the road and I have right of way and need to brake to avoid hitting them - haven't they just failed to give way?

8. It was actually a side-on impact, just I hit right at the back of the car, and because of the speed of both vehicles and the angle, the bike essentially became a missile which tore the rear end of the car apart.

Wouldn't have believed a 210kg bike can do so much damage to a 2T 4WD.