Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

failed prelearners :(

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kynyt1703, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hello all,

im new to here. i apologise if this has been posted already.

I did my prelearners not long ago and failed it. need to return and do the remedial lesson.

i was wondering does anyone know if I need to re-pay for the 2 day if I did ok in my lesson?

Im a shortie, 5'1 and 55kgs (girl) and the other blokes in my course were 180cm+ so they passed without any probs.

the instructor was very helpful and tried to help me out through the whole day 1. i went ok until the last hr or so i fell once cause the course was on a slope (i landed on the lower side of the slope) and instructor said to stop there. and of course there was no way i could have reached the ground as there is prob 5cm difference in height. (i tipped toed the whole time). Anyways, fell once, lost a bit of confidence, then fell another time in the same place. i think i also went a bit slow. i did the clutch and everything ok considering Ive never rode on a bike and still on my Ps and never driven a manual.
    I was upset not cause i didn't pass but it was cause I tried so hard and im keen to make it work. but in the same im glad he sent me home with a fail cause there is no way i can go out on the roads like that. The instructor said I need more practice riding around and thats it. (i guess i kept thinking im gonna stack it...)

can anyone give me any tips?

2. Were you riding on your own bike or one of the instructor bikes? Maybe if you had your own bike, a bit smaller where you can touch the ground it would be better. I know this isn't incredibly helpful but if you really are intent on getting your learners and having your own bike maybe bring it to do the test on?

Other than that maybe invest is some of the Motorcycle Intro courses a lot of places do where they teach you about riding before you do the learners training and course.

3. It sounds like the bike is too tall for you. Try and find instruction with something like a Suzuki GN250. If you cant reach the floor on a GN then you must be a garden gnome.

4. A fair bit of effort for the prelearners, bringing your own bike. If you can't reach the ground comfortably, shift your arse off the seat a bit when you know you're going to stop so that it's easier to reach the ground.

You'll look like less of an idiot than standing with the bike keeled over on your leg or trying to get your feet down.

5. Hey keep trying, my girlfriend who is about 150cm, Lynda you can check out her post, struggled and dropped the bike a few time but still managed to pass. You might even try another testing centre where there isnt a slop making it easier to put your foot down.

Curious what bike did you use?

6. hey guys,

thanks for the replies :)

i went on a cb250 (their bike), and the seat was already a bit lowered, but their wide seat dont help much at all, wasnt too much difference.

yeah, i think my nerves made the instructor a bit worried and tense (cause the stacking wasnt a nice having two group and instructors all staring at me), and all the other tall blokes in my group, all ridden bikes before/off road so they were flying on the tracks/course. so yeah i did look a bit like an idiot.

If i did it with another training center, does anyone know if i need to pay and do the whole course again? cause i think it was the slope that made me a bit wonky and worried.

7. or consider putting your foot down on the upper slope side. Explain to the instructor that if you they can't supply a bike suiting your stature, you need to adjust the "rules" so that you are safe. I'm assuming the "up slope" side was to your right?

chin up, go back and go again. You'll get it.

ps. Nothing hotter than a chick that can ride :D

8. Yes you will need to pay for the whole course again if you do it with another training centre. You *might* be able to convince the training centre you originally went to to let you have another go free of charge, but I doubt it. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble, maybe find someone with a ute or bike trailer and bring your own bike along to do the course with.

Most importantly, do not give up!! You will get there eventually. Try riding a smallish (but not too small or else it will be too different to the training centre's bikes) dirt bike off road, get a bit more confident in the handling of the motorcycle, and attempt the course again.
    Where do you live? I would be more than happy to help out with coaching if you have your own motorcycle (mine would be much too tall for you), completely understand if you are not willing to give that information out online.

9. aww, thanks for the offer. but I see that you live in Melb? im from Sydney.
    I actually really wanted to tell the instructor that stopping there is a no go for me, but I was scared that Im asking too much...or like whinging or not following the rta standards or what not and he has to fail me cause of that (but i failed regardless). I start to wobble on 1st gear and no problems on 2nd, but the others who wizzed through the whole course made me a bit anxious. and yeah, the up slope was on my right, so stop with my left feet on the down slope was dangerous and impossible for a learner.
    Yeah, il still go for the remedial lesson cause I have no lose id guess (and remedial lessons are done at another center so i guess could be better).

10. Do you have a bike of your own ???
    What you need to do is to learn to slide your butt across the seat to the side your putting a foot down. Try to practice a lot to the left as that is the side the instructor will want down. Leg that is. Your right will need to be on the rear brake. But don't worry about that for now.
    If you do have a bike or one you can use for practice. Then have it against a wall so you are sitting upright. Right bar against the wall. And have the side stand down.
    Now what you will be practicing is sliding your bum across to the left of the seat but keeping pressure on the right hand side of the handle bars so the bike stays up against the wall but your bum is nearly off the left hand side of the bike. You should be able to get a foot down. If you unbalance or over balance it's not a biggy as it will just fall on the stand and not the ground. Just keep doing this till you are really comfy with it. It will help a lot with confidence. A lot means days and days by the way.
    Eventually you will be comfy having your right butt cheek on the left of the saddle when stopping and your left foot should hit the ground easy.
    Another trick to finding your balance while the bike is on the wall is to stand on the pegs. Go from seated to standing. This helps you find your internal balance. Once a bike is doing over twenty k's it's only you that will fall. If the bike could stay at that speed and not hit anything it would never fall over.
    And yup you have to pay for every day at training.
    Ps never be afraid of asking or stating something to your instructor. They are their to teach more than anything. He should take it as his failure if you fail.
    Just cause they are an instructor does not make them the best rider or teacher for that matter. He shoulda picked it up before you had the problem.

11. I dont have my own bike yet. I got a few friends who have off road trail bikes, but they are all too high for me.
    I was hoping to get it after i pass so i know i can do it but I do know in the same time if i had a lowered bike and practice i can ride with no problems.
    thanks for your tips, maybe i can try it on my tall push bike for the mean while.
    I should have registered to this forum earlier, you guys have been great help and friendly :) (and at least no one said- "you shouldnt be riding at all, get off the road")

12. Are you able to do the course on a scooter instead?? In Vic, you can do the test on either. You might find it a bit easier to reach etc on a scooter. You can then ride a normal bike. If you do that, make sure you spend time doing the learners practice (I think they're in Homebush in NSW??) before you attempt too much road riding. It's not ideal, but, this way you can eliminate some of the stresses for the course. $0.02.

13. @bretto: hang on. we are talking left foot down on the down slope side.

Now, i could give you the names and numbers of about half a dozen big gnarly dudes with big gnarly bikes that have dropped their bikes in those circumstances AND can't hold them up in the same circumstance.

Ergo, they always put down the foot that is on the up slope side.

After you get past a certain point, the bike would get real heavy on the left leg.

Everyone knows the basis behind left foot down (for hill starts etc). But i reckon this is a case of the course expecting something completely unresonable.

@kynyt1703: if you go back, make sure you tell them that you cannot do as they ask because it is physically impossible for you to do so. Find out if there is another way of doing things. Also explain that on the road, should that circumstance be presented to an experienced rider, they would put their right foot down and use the front brake to hold the bike.

M_N

ps. I hate the rta....

14. Yep a pushy will do the same thing. A dirt bike might be great too as it does have a much higher seat height. If you can master it on a dirty with an 800mmm seat height it will be a breeze on a CB250.
    The trick is the counterbalance. ie weighting the opposite bar to the leg going down. So you comfortably slide your bum across to other way without upsetting the balance of the bike.
    Also look up and strait ahead. I cannot stress how important the eyes are for your balance. Look down and you will fall down. So yeah look up and ahead and feel it.
    Just remember to have that stand down when practicing.

15. @ MJ I know. As I said do both sides but really try on the left because when she goes for a license they will want that right foot on the brake.
    The instructor should have seen her struggling with that and worked around it as it is only L's.
    Or told her what I just have. If you are short or have any difficulty you have to think ahead more, plan it more. All roads have camber to run off excess water.
    As youhave seen or read on this there are guys with one arm that ride. If there's a passion for it there is a way to do it.

16. kynyt1703, come to Homebush on Saturday and watch other learners do the course, also get some face to face tips

17. I am short. I dropped my brand new bike the first time I came to a stop on a real street, as it sloped to the left slightly and my left leg was still hovering in the air when I had hoped it would be on solid ground.

Us shorties need to plan ahead and using the correct technique for different situations. I found this faq helpful -
    http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html

I enjoyed this netrider thread - https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=100395

Also if you are interested in special boots for short people there is the Daytona Lady Star GORE-TEX. I have the same ones (but the larger sizes are called the M-star, possibly because blokes would feel weird wearing 'lady' boots, but I suspect the M stands for 'midget' not 'man' anyway)

I got mine from fc-moto which seems to have the best prices (also you don't have to pay VAT so it ends up cheaper than the quoted price) but it can take a long time before you get the boots so this would not really help the current situation.
    http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=2587584&Currency=AUD

18. +1 on using the right foot down when the left doesn't reach.

19. Udlose partner is quite small and was most comfy on a cbr250 the older one not the new one you could look into one, buy one then practice on it. Goto some bike shopsand sit oneverything and when you findone that suits you best.

20. My boyfriend (chuchu91) just commented earlier about me being a shorty as well. I am a few centimetres shorter than you and I stuffed up plenty in the pre-learners. I dropped the bike, couldn't really push it and ran the bike through the barrier pretty much out of panic. I ended up getting a huge bruise on my thigh too. Yes, I probably should have failed, but our instructor was pretty lenient and every time I fell, I would get up and say "let me try again" because you won't get anywhere if you give it up. All the other guys in the group were doing well so I understand where your lack in confidence came from. Anyway, don't give it up girl, you'll get used to it. I also shopped around for bikes, looking at lowering them, etc etc. I ended up getting the Ninja 250R only because it's fairly low. Didn't lower it because I know I'll eventually wanna upgrade to a bigger bike. Holding up the bike, I have 1 leg and ball of my foot touching the ground. What others above said, scoot your ass over each side to get used to holding the bike up on both sides. You'll get used to it. When I first started out, I dropped the bike a few times and now since I'm so used to it, I don't drop it at all. I can also ride higher bikes now (like boyfriend's Megelli). So what I'm basically saying is, don't feel discouraged. We are vertically challenged. Haha. Just get back on and keep practicing until you get it. A lot of people on this forum can help you out as well (such as going to Homebush on Saturday where there are plenty of learners every week). Hope this helps and good luck! :)