Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

failed my P test :(

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Eli-loca, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Not only failed but feeling devastated about it :(
    I thought I had enough practice on me but now I've realised my weakness is body posture. I really struggle when attempting to do the U turn (got a mini cruiser). Any advice?

2. Cruisers (even mini ones) often aren't the easiest bikes to do U turns on, some places let you do the test on their bikes (or even their scooters some of them).

Maybe think about re-doing the test on a different sort of bike?

If not then all I can suggest is more practice *until it's second nature and easy*.
  3. You're not the first to fail by a long shot so don't beat your self up too much.

Keep in mind that you can stuff up the u turn and still pass. I was on a scooter. Nailing the U turn all day with a good meter to spare, then f'd it up in the test. You lose less points for going over the line than you do for putting a foot down. But practice everything else as much as you can and don't forget the head check.
  4. Don't be too down on yourself. Perhaps get along to the Homebush Saturday sessions and speak to one of the people down there. They may be able to give you some one on one time. Confidence. (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for words guys. No doubt I'll be there this sat! Sometimes I become more determined the harder it gets. I'm also aware the type of bike I have may complicate things a bit but at the end of the day I chose that bike because I love how it feels. Now I want to nail it regardless of the test! ;)
  6. #6 timax, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    Find a lane way and ride as SLOW as you can. That will teach balance. Mark out the distance of the test box from one gutter and just keep riding up and down the lane.

You should be able to have the bars at full lock and keep going around and around with practice. Trail rear brake helps.
  7. My wife failed first time around - over thought it - instructors words not hers. Don't sweat it.

The key now is to practice, practice, practice and then some more practice. And relax.
  8. Hey I failed first time but mine was the emergency stop!!! Called myself every name imaginable but got it the next time! I know how you feel about being cheesed off! Practice, practice practice.....:)
  9. 'If at first you don't succeed - try try again!"
  10. There comes a point though where someone just has to say "Sorry, motorcycling just isn't for you". I'd suggest that would be sometime around the 4th or 5th attempt.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. My wife failed on the U turns first time. We went out and practiced on a quiet road a little narrower than the test site. Then when she did it the second time, she had acres of spare room.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Been there, done that - totally stuffed up the cone weave in the test after practising it without problems for 45 minutes or so earlier in the afternoon. I just had to go and do it again ($110 thank you).
  13. This is very common, often people have no problem and then as soon as the official test starts they get an attack of nerves and forget all their good practice. Training groups know this, they see it all the time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. You don't have to go deep into the box. Take the biggest arc you can while still getting the bike just inside the mouth of the box. Any bike will do this easily. I practised and practised, had it down pat but f'ed it up in the test because I went deep into the box. It was the way I had practised it a thousand times but I should of chosen the easy way because of how nervous I was. I put my foot down and went over the line but still passed the test because it was the only mistake I made.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I did my P's on a cruiser so I feel your pain. It's a bit harder with the extra length (giggity) but you'll get there with enough practice.

These are the bits that I focused on:
    • Body position - I found sitting slightly on the outside (to the left) helped with stability.
    • Lock the knees on the tank so you're not so stiff on the bars.
    • LOOK BACK! I kept forgetting to do this - I'd focus forward to make sure I got in the box but then I'd be slow to look back to where I wanted to go. By the test, I was nearly snapping my neck back.
    • As others have said: practice, practice, practice. I'd go to empty parking lots at night and practice doing U-turns in two spaces until it became second nature.
    All this worrying and that wasn't even where I stuffed up. I lost points on the non-emergency stop and I probably should've failed on the tight 90deg turn but I think he gave me the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck, I'm sure you won't need it.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. crossing line in U-turn is only 5 points.

if you overbalance during U-turn, you can stop and put your foot down (1 point), rebalance then start off again, cross line (5 points) and still pass if you do the slalom and emergency stop ok :)

if you're going to put foot down, do it decisively! hopping gets you points per hop. stop and make that 1 point worth it :)
  17. A girl was doing the hop stepping when I did my p's the other day. Failed halfway through the test.

I used their bike for the test (cb125) cause I didn't want to do it twice. Was like a pushbike after the xvs lol.
  18. Go practice the U turn but don't try to drive the bike around the U. Go in smoothly but slightly faster, back off the throttle and clutch and use the momentum to pull the bike around. It will feel more stable if a little fast at first but you get it. Trying to "drive" around will wash off speed, make you feel less stable and wanting to put the foot down.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Hang in there! I was told by most people that the Ninj would be a pain in the buttocks to pass the U turn on...so I paid a small county's GDP to hire a crappy Honda 125 that I am sure had every pedal, brake and lever swapped on it before I got on it.
    The brakes were shite on it and another guy and I who were on the hire bikes failed the emergency stop. I reckon on the ninj i
    i could have stopped about a metre less than that bloody Honda!
    But the u turn I was like a circus monkey could have turned in about half the size of the U turn box.
    Go to the Sydney Homebush learner's but I guess think about the hire bike (esp after I have sold it so well :) ) but if you go in being aware that the bike will be a lifetime away from what you are used to...
    I passed with a point up my sleeve but really thought I had failed! I wept with relief.
    You CAN do it !
  20. It's all over, riding is not for you. BMX maybe?
    Just joking... you only get stronger by learning from your failures.

I'm a noob rider and I believe U-turns are like a sharp controlled slow maneuvering corners, It's all about throttle control.

This is what I would do:
    - completely come to a stop
    - before I attempt the U-turn, I will ensure I check my mirrors and check over my shoulder to make sure the path is clear
    - I will slip my clutch within that sweet spot instead of letting the clutch all the way out and using only the throttle in conjunction with the fat controller (rear brake), this should give me more slow speed control
    - I will turn my head as far as possible looking into the path of my direction, not only this will make sure that my path is clear and safe for me to complete my U-turn, my body will naturally follow where I am focusing my eyes
    - the further I turn my head and the further I look into the turn, the more balance and sharper my U-turn will be
    - I will keep the throttle steady, smooth application of the clutch and turning my head will help me accomplish my U-turn safely and the smallest space I have to work with
    - counterweight into the maneuver will help me stabilize my motorbike and offset the motorbikes weight leaning into the turn with my body weight offsetting and balancing it out to maintain stability

In addition, I would practice this until it is second nature to me. I hope this helps.

That is all for now.
    • Like Like x 1