Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Factors influencing rider intentions and behaviour

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mouth, Aug 8, 2007.

1. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS8) has released its Road Research Grant Report "Psychological and social factors influencing motorcycle rider intentions and behaviour"

2. hah.

So basicly it saiz if u ride like an idiot push the limits and get lots of speeding fines ect ect u are no more likely to get in a accident than somoene who rides safley.
  3. "i'd rather be known as a slow rider, than remembered for being a fast one..." <---------gooooooooone?
  4. the only interesting bit:
    “Boy Wondersâ€: often young and inexperienced, do not usually belong to a club, but ride because they love the challenge and push their limits, race their peers and often do not consider the consequences of their behaviour. They usually ride fast, high powered, Japanese bikes;"
  5. A well presented study of the obvious, IMO. Still, these guys need to be employed.

I was a little concerned about some of the closing discussion about the merits of advanced rider training. i.e. more training would lead to increased confidence, and therefore greater risk taking, and possibly a higher chance of an accident.

That's totally false.

More training makes for a safer rider. A more mature attitude makes for a rider who's less likely to take risks beyond their training.

We need a way to promote both in new riders. To be fair, the study did address those points within the main body, but I was concerned that the conclusions, which as we know is ALL that the people who make decisions read, and then only take away misunderstood aspects of, is leaning towards recommendation that riders not be trained.
  6. +1
  7. Haven't read the report (:facepalm:) but my 2c worth: I think the risk of over-estimating your skills on a bike and in a car are about equal. The chances of pushing the limits of your equipment based on that misconception are also about equal. Unfortunately, the consequences of doing it on a bike as opposed to a cage are substantially more lethal.

- Guran
  8. I would say before my crash i was a Boy Wonder.
  9. what have you become now?
  10. How about:
    "I'd rather be known as a rider who enjoyed themselves and set his own pace and didn't succumb to peer pressure and poo his pants".
    Regards, Andrew.
  11. I can't take anything from CARRS-Q seriously they arer known to be totally anti-motorcyclist...

Comments about their attitude have already been made about the ATSB using them when the last meeting of the ATSB's Motorcycle Safety Consulting Committee met.
  12. The first thing I noticed when I opened the new tab for the document was the PDF title road_rgr_200704.pdf which I read as road rager: A study into motorcyclists behaviours.

A lot of their research used info that was 10+ years old. In the 10 years I have been riding, I have seen big changes in the type of riding and riders on the road.

The Qld research had a limited survey base and is not a balanced way to assess the whole country.

Sounds like bureaucrats shifting blame. Riders are saying road surface is an issue, but the officials say it's not :?

I guess that the Hazard Perception Study in the process at MUARC will go some way to address this...wouldn't you think they would have mentioned this?????????

The specific 'bending' of road rules for safety reasons is lane splitting. How many more incidences of injuries are likely to be reported if we are to be tail-ended instead of taking the self preservation route of getting out of harms way. There have been a few reported "I checked my mirrors and moved or I would have been hit" just here on the forums recently.

I think this is very true. Even for me, I tend to choose to ride with faster and (often) higher risk takers than myself, yet do not feel pressured to do as they do.

There are pluses and minuses to group riding. Group rides tend to be used more often with rider training/skills development (think of our recent Learner rides) and, if carried out correctly, have the potential for huge benefits for the inexperienced rider. Having a mentor to every one or two or three inexperienced riders while in a group situation have a lot of things going for it. Another area of research, I guess.

WOW!! A study that has determined there may be benefit in training drivers in awareness of other road users! :roll:

Funny they mention this in their conclusion when earlier they seem to be more on the side of riding to the conditions. Conditons may be great for a section of the road and then sudden disintegration of condition or poorly or unsigned changes in road condition make conditions far more dangerous.

I don't see this study as a particularly helpful tool. I could have predicted that they would find that if you are a young male, you are more likely to crash and more likely to show-off and submit to peer group pressure.

I reckon if I had've handed in this study as an assignment, I would have scored poorly. There didn't seem to be too much of their own current research and many of their facts were based on data 10+ years old.