Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

F800R, Monster 796, or Triple 675

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by davesquirrel, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Hello you lot. Haven't been in here for a while, it's all a bit modernified or somesuch...

So after several years of putting around on my VTR250 (slightly modified mid-ownership with a nice Megacycle exhaust and bar-end mirrors to keep me entertained), i've got a bit of money to splash on an upgrade.

This isn't really a "which bike should I buy" thread, more a "who has one of A, B or C and can you bullet point the good and the bad".

I'm looking at either a BMW F800R, Ducati Monster 796, or a Triumph Street Triple 675. Order of listing is by no means order of preference. Originally it was Triumph all the way but then they put those silly headlights on the newer ones so that's a change i'd be making. The other two I still love the designs, more so on the Beemer now it's available in a rather nice shade of red.

So i'd like to hear from owners of any three of the above. My key enquiries are:

1. Servicing costs. I'm thinking probably second-hand and one or two years old which means I can take it to my local bike shop, although I may consider a new one if the main dealer costs are reasonable - this is a long-term purchase so depreciation isn't a massive issue for me - it'd be nice to have something similar to a VTR in this aspect.

2. Ride height and quality. A VTR250 is good height for me, a Buell Cyclone has me on tiptoes. This bike would be mainly for weekend rides as I work within spitting distance of home. The VTR is not a good distance (anything over 100km) bike so I want something where I don't get off it and have to lie down for a week.

3. Fuel economy. Sure the manufacturers quote x amount of fuel per 100k's but how much are you actually getting from a tankful.

4. Grin factor. I always remember once i'd got the hang of the VTR, how much of a grin it always puts on my face. Still does nearly 4 years later, although now I know she's getting traded in (unless I get a good price in a private sale) the grin is waning a bit.

***TL;DR version***

I like all three bikes, extol the virtues of whichever one you own.
  2. I've had the BMW F800ST for 6 years.
    Service intervals are 10,000 km. Service costs have been very reasonable. Replaced battery twice. Replaced headlight globe twice.
    Brakes front and rear worn out at 35,000 km. Pads and discs. $$$ here.
    Rear tyres seem to last me 15,000-18,000 km. Fronts somewhat less. Maybe that's something to do with me.
    Fuel consumption is outstanding. 4.3L / 100km overall according to the display on the bike. Daily commuting, some freeway running, a little touring.
    Lowered suspension is available as a factory option ( so it's done right) if that's good for you.
    Mine took a long time to start giving its best. Around 15,000 km. Especially the gearbox that was clunky at first but is nicely slick now.
    If you take a test ride, try and find one with at least 10,000 km on it. New out of the box doesn't give you an accurate picture.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I don't think any of those bikes are duds, perhaps you should test ride them and go for the one you like best.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. #4 BitSar, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Depending on your budget and what you want I would throw in an SV650 / Gladius as well. Just superb bikes and a great step up from your vtr. Not in the same league as the ones you listed ... Of the three I prefer the triple. The ducati would be a bit expensive to maintain and the bm is perhaps a bit less exciting ... But you really can't go wrong they are all great bikes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Striple all the way..no contest. My son has one. You get used to the silly headlights after a while.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Why was the VTR not a good distance bike? I use to go on long rides all the time without any issues for my back.

Just wondering how the STriple or Monster would be any different for the back? Sitting position is similar on all bikes.

If you like the seat height on the VTR, you'd probably be real comfortable on the Monster.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Street triple owner. my experiences, i'm not a fan of the headlights, but I've grown to like them, and I don't stare at myself in shop windows, so don't care much about looks.

1. $250 per minor, $600-800 per major, but these are at 10 and 20k's, so larger cost but at lower intervals than japanese bikes (6k).

2. ride quality has been refined very well over the years, and cannot be faulted in anyway.

3 and 4. negative correlation between the two!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The STriple is a truly awesome machine. I was hanging out for finding a good deal on a round headlight model, but ended up going with the '12. Had it 18 months now, and I actually prefer the new headlight shape. They send out a much better beam than the old round ones. Even more so after installing Ecliptech Dual Light Driver and Philips X-Treme globes.

To be fair, I did add the flyscreen. I think the headlights do still look a helluva lot better with the screen that without.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. In regards to the Monster:

1. $300 for minor, $800 for major.

2. Low seat height on the 796 and there are alternative seat options. It's also a very light bike.

3. I get 300km out a 15l tank on the 1100.

4. Torque = :D
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Hello - I don't know anything about the BMW, but have a regular riding companion with a 796 Monster which he swears by, rather than swears at. Another friend has just bought a new Street Triple which I rode last weekend. Really good fun bike, which I liked a lot. Great seating position, plenty of grunt (same horsepower as my Yamaha XJR 1300, I am told!) and good looks. Looks like you could be spoiled for choice..........................
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks everyone for the feedback, muchly appreciated.

After posting this, i went and did insurance quotes for all three, based on a brand new model.

Tempted to rule the Ducati out on that alone - it was $850 fully comp (the Triumph was $700, the BMW surprised me at $530).

As pwbike pointed out, test driving all three will be the decider. Watch this space...
  13. I dunno....

The insurance folk must have a reason.

Parts more expensive....more likely to get stolen....more likely to get crashed.

Maybe the Duc has one of those Italian side stands that pops up when you take weight off of it?
  14. I owned a 2010 Street triple R until last week with a full arrow exhaust and triumph bar end mirrors. Great bike.

The only minor negatives for me were are the seat on longer rides starts to bite more than some other bikes I have owned ( too soft IMO) and the suspension could also have done with a re-valve ( you could say that about a lot of bikes from the factory).
    These are just my personal observations and may not be what others have found depending a rider weight and also experience with other bikes, speed at which you ride, type of riding, etc.

Its all very personal as I said and these are really minor things in the scheme of things. Certainly no major faults or anything to be worried about. I was at the point where I could have done up the suspension and got a new seat, or traded it in on another bike. I traded it as was my want!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Hey mate. I've owned an STR for nearly 4 years now and done 37,000km. It is a wicked bike. Really light and flickable and all the power I need. Brings out the hoon for sure. It is made for the weekend blast and commutes well as well. I reckon all these bikes are similar in the power/ weight ratio but the Street should be the lightest. Someone can correct me I'm sure. My only niggles with the street is lack of wind protection, but looks rad as a result so you know that off the start.

I didn't consider many other bikes because at the time, and since I believe, the STR was dominating every middleweight naked shootout so....I tested it and done.

It's a bit under size for open highway cruising but again it's not what it's made for but you put up with the highway and when you arrive at your twisty destination you have the right tool for the job. She'll do weekend trips with a bag on the back no problem. Realistic fuel range for touring no issues. Fantastic on track as well. I've been peaking around for a new bike for two years and there is never anything that does everything I want at the right $$$ and the Street can do everything so I just keep adding to it. Recently added Daytona rear sets and got a Dart flyscreen which is good for wind protection. Just tested a Tiger 800 and liked it but it didn't blow my hair back in the hoon department...probably in 4 years that'll be my bike when long trips are more my go. The only bike I would trade up for now is a Multistrada but can't seem to grow a money tree.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MT-09.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Can you tell me more about the light driver? I've changed over to phillips extreme globes but stayed at the same wattage. Does the light driver allow you to go above this? If so, what did you go to and has anything in the reflector melted ?
  18. I faced same dilemma as you a few years ago. I ended up with a striple, that said if you could get the BMW with an exciting triple engine then I woulda got that, but you can't so I didn't... The BMW was super comfy and with its low centre of gravity inspires confidence as a first proper bike, however, the engine is truly dull, both in sound and in feel. I found the Duc lurchy and uncomforable at low speeds (probs my hamfisted clutch control). Ultimately a test ride will make it an easy choice and I would stake serious cash on you chosing the triple. I think those that wanted a duc specifically would convince themselves that was the one, however the test ride went.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dave,

I had a Street triple R 2009 after my 2010 VTR. Loved both bikes.

I considered all 3 you listed and more. in the end the STR won out after 2 test rides. don't worry about the head lights and the older ones are very rare now so even if you wanted one, it'd be a long wait I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Update, and thanks for the further comments:

I've now been and sat on the BMW F800R at Southbank Motorcycles. Couldn't test ride as their loaner was out to a service customer (good to know they provide one). Initial impressions were that it was just too much bike. The seat was noticeably wider and the bike felt too heavy for my *ahem* nimble frame. Heated hand grips (a must) were standard. Trade in for my VTR was acceptable and bike package fell within my budget. The Carrum Downs dealership had one in the burnt orange colour, which was gorgeous.

Went down to Mornington Ducati, who were very friendly and helpful and allowed to test ride a Monster 696. I loved this bike from the moment it was fired up, however the digital dash wasn't all that easy to read (I expect you get used to it however those km/h numbers will probably be a pain in sunlight or at night). The bike easily felt like a logical step up from my VTR, light and nimble and the engine had plenty of oomph. I did feel a couple of times that it was either going to cost me my licence or my life but I guess riding anything bigger after nearly 5 years on a 250 is going to elicit that effect. Trade-in for the VTR was a bit crap but they offered to add hand grips and throw in a new helmet for about $500 total less than the BMW package.

Today i'm off to Peter Stevens to try the Triumph Street Triple. Was meant to go Tuesday but weather was a bit inclement. Watch this space. Despite all the bad rap i've been reading about the dealer, it's either that or go all the way up to Shepparton to AJ's...

Oh, and now a friend of a friend has expressed interest in my VTR so hopefully should be able to shift that for an extra $1500-$2000 on top of what I was going to get for a trade-in.