Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

F1 More Complex that MotoGP?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by dan, Aug 19, 2005.

1. "It’s no secret that MotoGP has some pretty high tech electronics and gadgets on their bikes but this Formula 1 steering wheel is over the top. Look at this thing! An electronic display in the center along with enough knobs and switches to keep any geek happy. How much time does the average F1 driver have to peruse all of this at speed? Um, let’s see, was it the red knob or the green one, I can never remember…"

Check out the photo

2. No question it's more complex. A car is bigger, relatively and so more gadets can be crammed in. So many more of an F1 car's functions can be carried out with electronics than can be on a bike.

Indeed, the level of electronic monitoring and control of an F1 car is so great that, about 10 years ago!!! Mclaren was able to navigate an F1 car around Snetterton circuit for many laps at close to record pace, WITHOUT A DRIVER IN THE CAR!!

Unsurprisingly, there is a big push in F1 now to reduce driver aids and put the onus back on the DRIVER to actually drive the car rather than having the electronics do so much.
  3. Whoa!! Makes the steering wheel on my bike look like a simple old handlebar..or something!
  4. That's one of the reasons that F1 doesn't really do it for me - it's all about the machine. I don't think Michael Shumacher has lost his ability to drive, it's just that someone else has a better car. I tend to agree with you RC, get rid of a bit of the tech and make the driver a more important component. That's the magic of MotoGP, the rider reigns supreme.