Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

`ey

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by vladpp, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Hi everybody.

Recently bought a bike, 1987 Suzuki Gf250, cost me $600. Gave it a much needed carb rebuild and i'm about to do some rewiring, otherwise it runs well. I should be getting my L's soon enough, in the meantime i'll have to be happy with watching it idle in my driveway.

2. welcome to NR.
    did you take pics of your work? if so, make a thread in the technical section.

3. Welcome Vlad, count down to your license, thats always the hardest time. Don't me tempted to take the bike out without the L's though. And don't forget your safety gear, i.e. boots, helmet, gloves etc. Always an added expense. Hope to see you out there soon. :grin:

4. Welcome to NR !
    :biker:
    +1 Joel

5. Welcome vladpp.

Sounds like a great cheap bike. Good work. Good luck getting the L's.

6. Um yeah, about that...

I might as well go from the start.

I bought the bike of a guy in seddon (west of Melbourne). So my mom drove me flinders street station and i caught a train to seddon, then walked 1.6k to the guys house. Having no experience/gear to ride the bike or any form of mechanized transport (not about to pay $300 to courier a $600 bike) i decided to walk it, TO THE TRAIN STATION. so i get on the train at seddon, change platforms at flinders street and boarded a frankstone train, btw i live in patterson lakes (please don't stalk me more than necessary). So all is good, im getting ALOT of looks from people, in case you haven't realized yet i took the bike on the train.

So, as everything was going too well, the train decided to break down in front of moorabin station.... And after an hour they told people to get out the train.... from the front of the carriage.... So i walk the bike down the isle (pardon the pun) of 3 carriages and omg you should've seen the look on the face of the train driver.

The guy almost craped himself laughing and said i have to wait for the train to be fixed. So 1 hour later the train got to the station and i left.

Chapter 2: Stranded in moorabin.

Long story short, i lucked out massively. At school the day before i saw a flier that was advertising free RACV membership for all year 12 students and signed up. So i gave them a call and they towed me and because it was within 20km of my house it was FREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

5 hours of pushing, $0 spent.

So the next day after getting it started, witch involved changing the fuse (the first of many brave fuses to give their life to protect my bike) i decided to try and ride it in my driveway. So clutch in, first gear, clutch out GENTLY, everything going incredibaly good, exept feet not on pegs coz i was scared. So i decided to go into the sidestreet next to my house, so clutch out, down the driveway onto the road, lean into the turn, rev, notice that the other side of the road is rapidly comming towards me, freak out, let go of clutch, slam front brakes, and the bike goes that way <--------------- and i go that way ------------------->. Ironicaly the engine was running very happily while droped, as if it was mocking me. I got a little scratch on my palm (i wore everything exept gloves), witch is healed now. And my engine is a bit scratched, lucky its not a faired bike and i broke 2 blinkers, witch technicaly isnt that bad as it already had a broken blinker on the other side. And a bent shifter witch i since straightend out.
    Theres still a nice fat spot on the road where battery acid leaked.

So now i need about $70 worth of parts and if i really have nothing better to throw money at it could use new diaphragms witch are $180 each.

I've learn't my lesson not to mess around with things i don't fully understand.

7. Love the story of how you got the bike home. With that much resourcefulness I am sure you will have any wiring problems sorted in no time.

But take some lessons and get your L's before you hit the road again. And some gloves in case you hit it literally.

8. :rofl: If you can ride as well as you can spin a yarn, you'll be a champion :rofl:

9. hiya and welcome your not far from me

10. At the moment its not being very cooperative, so i think it will be be out of driveway idling action for at least a week.

I should be booking into the n00b course on may 11, then the learn course + test near the end of the month.

11. :rofl: @taking it on the train. Brilliant stuff! Welcome to NR :)

12. Nice story and nice bike!!!
    I got the same one, my old mans bike, 87 model too.
    Needs blinkers also lol. Some idiot decided to stand on top of the bike to reach something in the shed and the bike fell over and cracked the fairing and broke the indicators.

Where are you getting your parts from?

Im gonna post a new thread showing pics as i have stripped the whole bike down and thankfully my dad has a spraying booth and vinyl machine so i can get it re-painted and new decals made :)

13. Oh and i have a service manual as a pdf if you want it?

Mine bike is grey, red, black with blue seat.

14. Nice story. Amazing what you can get on a train. We've only got buses here so would never be able to do that.

15. +1

And I salute your resourcefullness getting the thing back home... :rofl:

16. 'ey

That is a fantastic story.

In a previous life I worked in NSW in train operations for 13 years, I have seen and heard some hilarious and amazing rail stories but not one like this.

Champion effort, well done, I haven't laughed so much in ages and trust me that train driver has probably told about 1000 people and so on, this story will soon be an urban myth.

Stay safe.

Lisa

17. I ordered el cheapo indicators of ebay and was considering getting new diaphragms for the carby's but i got quoted $140 each plus shipping from Japan so i just put some glue on them and works good as new. I had to strip the paint on the tank because i had a nasty rust problem and i wanted to be sure that there weren't going to be any weak spots where paint was the only thing keeping the petrol in the tank. I'm actually going to redesign the paint and decals on the tank as part of a Viscom project at school.

I also had thought my head gasket was blown; was going to scan it and have it custom made but thankfully it was just a scare.

When in doubt ebay. Looking forward to see pics of your freshly sprayed bike, just be carefully not to damage the engine nr, frame nr and compliance plate.

18. Great Story Vlad,and as others have said resourceful to get it home. Hope you have booked in for your L's soon and we can see you out on the road.

Cheers :grin:

19. I got my L's a week ago, but the bike isn't roadworthy until the Post office gets off its ass and delivers the indicators.

20. Awesome story! Nice one. :grin: