Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Extra! Extra! BMW see the light...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RacingTurtles, Oct 8, 2008.

1. As you might've heard, BMW just released a new generation of their K-bikes: R,S and GT versions. Now with 1300cc engines, blah blah blah.... whatever - THIS is what I'm excited about:

See anything unusual? Nope - there is nothing unusual! That's the wonderful thing... after many years of persisting with their different for the sake of being different arrangement of indicator switches (using three when one will do for everyone else), they finally saw the light and this model has the same standard arrangement as every other bike on the market (well... except Harleys, I believe).

I think this is a wonderful victory for the common sense everywhere and it removes one of the things that would stop me from considering BMW as a ride of my choice

Sadly, the other barrier - my budget - remains....
  2. A good move I think. First time I rode my old mans beamer I must have had a puzzled look on my face before he explained the system.
  3. Can someone post a pic of the old system and a short explanation? Cheers :)
  4. Think this is it dont know how it works, but at least it has a help button on top :LOL: :LOL:
  5. In BMW's own system you press the switch on the left control cluster to turn on the left indicator, another switch on the right control cluster to turn on the right indicator, and the *third* switch (also on the right) to cancel either of them.
  6. I actually wish all bikes had the same system they have just made redundant. But I'm special.

7. Once you get used to the 3 switch BMW system it's actually much simpler and quicker to use in thick touring gloves than a standard all in one switch.

I admit it doesn't make much difference in thin unlined race type gloves.
  8. You're special too. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Absolutely correct. My hands are too big to use the conventional ones on just about every other bike I have ridden, especially with winter gloves.
  9. I'm special too :grin: .

But then, BMW have been going alarmingly conventional with many of their recent releases. I'm probably not the buyer that their marketing department is aiming at, but I wouldn't pay BMW money for a Jap bike clone.
  10. Well, add me to the list of "special" people, cause I find the Left and Right handlebar indicators very easy to use. It took me 2 city blocks to have it down pat. When I ride the Gixxer now I curse that tiny little button of an indicator switch.
  11. I prefer the traditional bmw system
    To me they have sold out.
    It's actually more intuitive and easier to use.
  12. [​IMG]

For the uninitiated...

Have a look at the grips and switch blocks.

Big orange buttons, where your thumbs live all the time when you are just riding along - UNDER the bars - one for right, one for left. One press and they are on. The K100RS cancels automatically after travelling something like 280 metres or a certain amount of time while moving has elapsed, but they can be canceled on demand with a button just above the right indicator button - again, just where your thumbs sits.

The system is different but became second nature in no time. I can't understand why people carry on about it being so stupid/difficult/thoughless/etc.

I find the normal rockers are too much of a fiddle - they almost always mean that I have to partially lift the palm of my hand off the grip to get my thumb on the switch. With thick gloves I don't have the dexterity (like I said, I am special) and on the VFR there horn is too close to the blinker switch, so more than once I have flashed and hooted when all I want is a quick flash - it just sends the wrong message.

The Beemer system suits me... but then again there are plenty of people who like Saabs and Volvos, and the Seppos think the cheese in a can is a good idea so I certainly wouldn't expect them to like it. :LOL:
  13. BMW riders would have noticed the change in blinker system straight awa

I found an advantage of the BMW system was that it's easier to change from right blinker to left blinker particularly when existing a roundabout
  14. Actually if all bikes had the same system I wouldn't object to it either. For the record, I did not call it stupid, difficult or any such thing. My objection is simply that it is sufficiently different to require serious adjustment, while offering no clear advantage I can see. OK, what you guys said about ease of operation in thick gloves would be a real advantage - for you. Personally I have no problem operating standard switches in any of the gloves I own, so this is non-issue for me.

On the other hand I see some wisdom in delegating the right hand solely to the operation of the critical controls: throttle and brakes, while leaving the less critical switches on the left side. BMW system burdens your right hand with those additional chores.

But that's no biggie either way. As I said, my main objection is simply that it is different for no good reason. It would not be an issue for someone who only rides BMWs, but it's a pain if you owned another bike from a different brand, or switched bikes often. What BMW was doing with their switchgear, to me, seemed to be an attempt to lock their clients into their own products and that is something I hate.
  15. Easier to cancel an indicator too, since you're hand is ready with the clutch lever as you accelerate away from the maneuver performed.

BMW lost some of it's identity.
  16. No you're not...well not because of this. I too like the traditional BMW system.

I'm with smee, biggest sell out since the Black Album.
  17. The wires poke up out of the loom near the triple clamp for each indicator, and you must touch them together and pull them apart to flash the desired globe, at a speed determined by how quickly you can touch two things together and pull them apart.

You will require another set of hands to do 'hazard lights'.
  18. Not true actually - at least on the older Ks. They have a hazard light switch too. And a 460W alternator...

They thought of everything except putting damping in the standard forks... :shock:
  19. I dont see whats peoples issue is about the generic system that everyone else uses... I can operate it with full padded gloves, i can switch from left-right-left quickly with no hassles at all... :?

I'm in no way putting BMW's old system down, both of them work imo...
  20. Malakas!!!!!!!!!!

The traditional BMW indicators are so much nicer to use.

When I ride with my left arm wresting on my thigh, I can indicate with my left arm to change lanes and not have to dive for the switch block, when I want to change lanes to the right, I simply use the indicator and then cancel it with my right without the need to take my hands off the bars.