Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

External HDD problem....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by phongus, May 16, 2009.

1. Hello everyone. I have encountered and issue I haven't had before so I am asking for some expert advise from those in the know.

I have had an external hard drive for about 2/3 years now and it has been working fine since today. I plugged it into the power point and the power supply decided to die on me. I thought to myself, well looks like I need a new case. Mind you it was working the night before when I was transfering files from my computer as back up before a format...lucky I haven't formatted.

Ended up getting a new case, plugged everything in and this time the power didn't even work, I was given a dud. Took it back and received a working power supply.

Plugged everything back in the way it's supposed to and plugged the power supply separately into the power point. switched the power on and the power supply showed a healthy green light. Turn the power at the main back off and plugged it into the new case with HDD...and BANG the power supply died again.

I have come to the conclusion that it wasn't the power supplies' fault, but the common denominator, the hard drive itself.

My question is...is it possible for a hard drive to have died causing a short some how and blowing up 2/3 power supplies (don't know if the dud was my fault)? I am totally confused as I have pulled the hdd out and it looks fine. nothing burnt and no smoking.

Also, if anyone knows a good place they can trust regarding data recovery in Melbourne, that would be great. I would prefer to get my data back...as much as I do have 90% of the data on the computer still. Also if anyone has had some experience with data recovery companies, how much they were charged that would be great.

Thanks everyone :D

phong =P~
  2. Saw this happen to a friend of mine, some sort of surge damaged the power control circuitry on the hard drive.
    The had drive itself didn't damage any other drive bays, but it wouldn't run either.
    In the end he ended up temporarily using the circuit board off an identical drive to get at the data on the drive.
    Last time I looked at data recovery prices, it was in the order of thousands of dollars for a single drive.
    Good luck.
  3. I work for a leading data recovery company, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about pricing but if you have 90% of files still on the computer it probably not worth it when its an electrical issue.
  4. I might give it a shot doing myself. Won't hurt to try if I haven't got much to lose :D. Have another dead hdd some where, might pull the circuitry out of it and give it a shot...cheers

Es...I have sent you a pm :D...you are right, not worth getting the data back.

phong =P~
  5. Hope this catches you first... Unless you have an IDENTICAL drive made within 2-3 weeks of each other, its not likely to work just swapping over the controller boards.

You say you've swapped over the cases, could you also try plugging the drive directly into the PC, it could provide it more power, BUT it could also kill the psu of the pc...

But yeah, as you said, not a whole lot on there you need, so maybe best to cut your losses and get a new one...

I'm also in IT, (NOT data recovery tho, as Es is, and as a disclaimer if you NEED files always seek data recovery pro's) but I can plug the drive into a number of power supplies or external caddies to see if it'll read it, one caddy has a built in power supply, maybe more robust than a wall-wart.
  6. Thanks for that. I haven't yet pulled the hdd apart...though now since I am turfing it, I wouldn't mind doing it due to curiosity haha. I do not have an identical hdd...was thinking if the controllers might be different...but can't hurt to try...I hope.

I was going to try and plug it into my computer at home, but went against it since I don't want to lose my computer just in case something else happens.

I still don't know how the HDD can short out the power supply...I thought current can only go in one way in a power supply...but from what I have experienced, looked like the powersupply was being fed power backwards.

phong =P~
  7. It can try to short voltage to ground through no resistance, it might trip the safety on the PSU (if its a quality one) or it could blow the fuse (or many other regulating parts that most people wouldn't understand)... and blowing the fuse is probably what its doing to your external psu's for the mobile drive...