Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Extended swing arms and 240s

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by inspired, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Hi,

Has anyone in Australia (and in particular NSW) fitted an extended swing arm with a 240 rear tyre to the rear of any of the big name sports bikes?

I know that extending the arm will greatly affect the turning and handling characteristics, and the 240 makes the bike stand up in corners (when the tyre gets worn), I'm just interested to know if anyone has done the mod.

Is it legal in NSW without an engineers certificate?

Can anyone provide experience with a 240 on any bike. How they handle? As mentioned in another post, I got a GV650 pretty cheap as a project, and I'm thinking of modifying it to fit the 240 rear. This was done in 2007 and was referred to as the 'Trend Killer'. The results were something similar to a modded Vrod which looks pretty sweet (and I'm a biased Harley hater and sportsbike rider).

I just thought Id give it a go for an interesting project. Any advice from your experiences?
  2. My M109r had a 240 rear tyre as standard, at that size tyre choice can dramatically affect the ride.

The oem dunlop tramlined noticeably but this was reduced greatly when I swapped to metzler.

A bike of that size was never going to turn in as quickly as a sports bike but I think that was more to do with the wheelbase and steering geometry rather than the size of the tyres.

If you fancy doing something really different, search on YouTube for the M109r with a 240 front tyre (not my bike) but certainly looks unique.
  3. Hi 109er,

I've heard some great news about the metzler and it keeps popping up.

I understand that the drive on the 109R is shaft, are you aware of whether this can be converted to belt drive for fitment to the GV650.

Im trying to source a wheel, but custom is gonna cost me a S%$^ load.

You don't have any old 240s you wanna get rid of do you, or any spare rear wheels? Lol.
  4. Btw, I just viewed that 109R with the 240 front and looks awesome.

That would be one awesome project to replicate.

5. I'd be looking for a Harley Davidson rear, they're mostly belt or a Ducati Diavel rear, I know they are 240 & I think they're chain drive.

I sold the 109 & spares a few months ago when I got my current bike.

Good luck with the project.
  6. Good luck and I know current vrod has a 240 rear and is belt drive like the gv
  7. Thanks very much mate. Ill take your ideas on board and have a look at these wheels.
  8. Have a look in the classified section of 1140cc.com forums....it's a VRod forum so often you will see swing arms and 240 wheel/tyres as guys go to 300
  9. Ok, thanks. Ill have a squiz.
  10. Hi again,

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've been looking around and I'm after some further input.

I now have two options I'm considering which both create differing issues;

1). Harley Night rod wheels and 240 tyre.

This would eliminate trying to convert a shaft drive wheel to a chain/belt drive, but results in me having to modify or sleeve out a wheel to fit a metric bearing and shaft. Failing this, I could also go for the complete imperial bearing, shaft and (for you fitter/machinists out there) possibly modify/ream out the rear brake housing to suit the Harley imperial shaft.

2). Suzuki Boulevard M109R Wheels and 240 tyre.

This would eliminate me trying to convert everything to metric, but would require some extensive modification or the manufacturing of a spacer plate to suit the belt drive of the Hyosung GV 650. Is anyone aware of any person that has converted this wheel to chain or belt drive?

Any info would be great.