Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Exhaust worries - Spada

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Drew, Sep 25, 2006.

1. not sure if this is an issue but i'll ask anyway

on the weekend i noticed my Spada has a little hole (looks factory made) on the uderside on my exhaust just before it meats the muffler.

i noticed that it also has an oily spray coming from it when idling with the choke on. It goes away when revved.

founf it whenb trying to work out why the drive has oily marks where i had the bike idling :?

is this normal..... i was thinking it bay be just unburnt fuel from the choke?

should i be worried or concerned??
  2. I'll have a look on my Spada when I go home this arvo and see if it has the same hole. Seems likely to just be unburned fuel on choke... it'd be worrying if there was a lot of oil in your exhaust system...
  3. checked oil. and its full but not over full :)

exhaust doesn't smoke when running so i think it is a start up thing but i'm new to all this.

thanks for checking, even if to just confirm my suspicions
  4. Could be there to avoid a build up of unburnt fuel which could present as a hazard if it were to somehow catch alight.

If, as you say, it looks artificial (not like a puncture or anything) then I would not worry about it in the slightest.
  5. I have the same thing on my Spada. I leave it to warm up in the mornings (choke on) and since moving into my new place I've noticed that im getting an oil-like powdery substance on the garage floor because of that hole.
  6. I noticed the same thing on my spada and have the same little hole too. A small amount of spray comes out when starting up in the mornings sometimes, with more force if I rev it. I wouldn't worry about it, it's an "undocumented" feature :) Cheers
  7. My Spada does the same at start, even without choke.

I thought it was oil at first too, but on closer inspection I think it's actually carbon or similar from the exhaust, cos it's not really oily at all, more a black powder.

Once I found the little factory made hole I figured that's what it was there for and stopped worrying about it.

8. aha well i guess it's not just me then.

cheers guys...
  9. I come to the party late, but because I promised... yeppers, mine has the li'l hole too. Guess it makes sense that you'd prefer soot buildup on the garage floor than inside the pipe where it could cause hassles.
  10. ok thanks guys... I can relax a bit now ;)

seeyouon the road somewhere
  11. Yeah the hole does make sense - my bike doesn't have one which probably explains the dark sooty stain on the wall behind the bike :LOL:.
  12. i think it's a moisture drain that just happens to take soot out with it as well.