Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Exhaust vibration cracks

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by loader, Aug 22, 2005.

1. :roll:
    My SRV250 has cracked another pipe because of vibration :(

My bike has stock twin exhausts from the v twin engine. The left has never been a problem but on the right the pipe that enters the silencer has cracked through 3 times so far!!!! :(

When I twist the throttle there is a point during accelleration where the pipe hits resonance and vibrates like no tomorrow for a few seconds. Hence it's cracking where it is clamped tight by the silencer.

The pipe is over 2ft in curved length and has no support apart from the two bolts holding it to the cylinder and the silencer clamp. This looks like bad engineering to me? Should I be thinking of adding another support to minimise vibration?
    Or should I be tackling the problem of the vibration at the engine? Can I make it run smoother?? :?
    I can supply photos if anyone wants a closer look at the problem

Cheers,
    Luke

2. It could be the mounts more than the pipe. If there are rubber washers or stoppers on the mounts, it may be that they have deteriorated to the point where they no longer do anything. If there was a problem with the design, I'd be inclined to think you'd have the problem with both pipes. Also check all connections the whole length of the exhaust. A loose bolt holding the pipe in the post can resut in viabration along the whole length, causing fatique just about anywhere. :)