Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Exhaust studs....

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ward_4e, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Do you lock tight these bastards in? or do you just drive them in and walk away...

2. I wouldn't lock tight them.

they are hard enough to get out as is is. Steel in aluminum then then put it through many many heat cycles.

3. mmmn... ok another question do you install studs to finger tight? or do you torque them in?

4. I'm guessing you'd still give them a light "fitters" torque.

Any less you might struggle with sealing.

5. I know a few girls who can exhaust studs, but that's another story.

6. its just i am going to be looking at this tonight. The teng tools stud extractor should be turning up tonight and i would really like to fix the focker...

I wana go for a ride... I went over the workshop manual and the only refference i found was for teh nut not the stud... The torque for the nut is only 8nm... sfa.. i could get tighter with a pair of mole grips...

ooo which reminds me i have to go and get some mole grips...

7. Be gentle. Use the same torque for the stud as they show for the nut. You don't want to strip the threads in the head.

8. Why buy mole grips when all you need are two M6 nuts tightened back to back on the stud and then snug it home using the top m6 nut ?????

9. mole grips are handy... but that little gem may just get me out of trouble...