Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Exhaust Problem...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by ins0mniac, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ... well sort of.
    I have a '92 ZXR250 and recently dropped it. I have fixed everything, and started it the other day and oil was leaking and subsequently burning through the join where the exhaust is bolted on to the engine. I attempted to tighten the bolts, and I had to use minimal effort to screw it, so I think the thread might be wrecked. If this is the case, how would I approach getting it fixed?

Regards,
    ins0mniac.

*by leaking, I mean barely visible*

2. You can get a thread repair kit. It's basically a metal putty that reforms the thread. The guff claims they are stronger then the original material.

Still if it were more load bearing I'd look at helicoils.

http://www.engineproblem.com.au/helicoil.htm

You just take the bike somewhere and they charge you tens of dollars to do this.

But if you have an oil leak, that should leak if you normally take a bolt out, then I'd say your problems are much more serious. You may need to get your head welded up and then drilled and tapped. And chances are the crack will extend a lot further then you think.

Good luck

3. The oil only leaks around where the two bolts are not tight. Could this still mean worse damage than I want to believe?

Regards,
    Ins0mniac.

4. I'm not sure of the design of these things, but it may be the exhaust retaining bolt hole penetrates into an oil cavity. In that case it would rely on the bolt being a good fit to stop the oil leaking.

I've never seen it before, but it is quite possible.

If that is the case, then repairing the thread should be sufficient, but a chemical thread repaier won't stick to an oily surface so you will need to get round that somehow.