Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Exhaust clogged up

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by jake00038, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Just took the exhaust of of the old CM250 to change the header gasket and had a look down the pipes and mufflers and they are coated with a mixture of fuel and carbon which makes this hard to scrape off sludge. Just hoping someone out there has an idea on how to get it clean again.
    Cheers Guys, Jake

2. do a search...i read a thread with the same thingy. they used soemthing nasty to paint and metal if left there for a while

3. Can you send it off to get dipped in an hot acid bath?

think its more for engine blocks mainly but never know.. :grin: (and id like to see how it turns out.

4. that would work but would also effect the chrome and is too expensive atm

5. copper sulphate.
    this is very nasty stuff but will do it for sure.
    you need propper gloves, goggles and mask but it'll clean anything out of there.
    the trick is to get it to sit in there for a 5 - 10 min period. you need to block off the single end to do this.wax can do that
    DO NOT GET IT ON ANY PART OF YOU.

6. Then you have toxic waste to dispose of safely. Easier to find a service provider that will clean it for you. A few dollars well spent.

7. or know someone who will get rid of it

8. It may belated as a reply, but I have a solution.

I stick lots of 6mm ball bearings into the pipe and a bit of water and sugar soap and hold both ends plugged with my hands and then I do a little dance around the workshop.

Other things to use are fat nails, nuts, bolts - basically anything that has the momentum to chip into the carbon deposit and knock it off.

...just don't let anyone catch you singing to your dancing.