Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Excursion to NSW Snowy Mountains

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by lui, Apr 21, 2016.

1. With summer well and truly over, I wanted to squeeze in a Snowy ride before the weather gets too cold. An opportunity arose last week, so I went on with my plan to get away for a couple of days. Since I was taking the Tiger, I threw some dirt into the mix to explore roads I have not been to. With that in mind, I thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the chain in addition to my usual pre-ride checklist, it was so that I could avoid lubricating a dirty chain during the trip. I also trickle charged the battery for peace of mind.

Like with all other rides, I try to get out of Sydney as early as possible to make the most of the day, this one was no exception, I left at 6am on Friday (Day 1) with a full tank of fuel. I chose the coastal route so the first logical stop was Nowra to refuel and get breakfast. I did think about going through Macquarie Pass and Kangaroo Valley but decided against it for two reasons, for one they could be cold and slippery that early in the morning and possibly foggy, secondly those are easily reachable destinations I could do in one afternoon. All things considered I chose the Princes Highway, here is a picture taken at the helipad just passed Kiama Heights.

[​IMG]

Braidwood Road up to Nerriga was in great condition with minimum traffic, though not particularly twisty it was still very enjoyable, certainly better than the motorway. Here is a picture with Ned Kelly across the road from the pub.

[​IMG]

First time taking Nerriga Road to Braidwood. This is the start of the 17km unsealed section.

[​IMG]

It was pretty much hard packed dirt all the way through, the road was relatively wide without major hazards, just watch out for four wheel drives and to give way as necessary. Some parts of the road were pretty corrugated and I did not enjoy those bits at all.

Upon arrival at Braidwood, I bumped into a group of GS riders and learnt that they have just came through Cooma Road, they confirmed that the road condition was nothing to worry about. Cooma Road was the plan anyway and it was good to be reassured. It was easy going with great scenery at first, unsealed section started at around Snowball and lasted for about 40km. Hard packed dirt road was not much of a challenge but it was quite dusty on that day, however I guess dusty is better than muddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to better than expected road condition, I got to Numeralla well ahead of schedule.

[​IMG]

Next stop was Cooma for fuel followed by a quick lunch, and then the Snowy Mountains Highway to Adaminaby. I reckon everyone who likes fast sweepers should give it a go. In no time I arrived Adaminaby to have a picture with The Big Trout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued on Snowy Mountains Highway towards Elliot Way, I took a detour to Cabramurra to checkout the highest town in Australia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a 900m descent to Tumut 2 Power Station and Talbingo Reservoir, which is the start of Elliot Way, a popular road among motorcyclists and well known for its tight and steep twisties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was making my way to Tumbarumba, I noticed a sign to the Southern Cloud Lookout, so I went to have a looksee and I am glad I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since there was still daylight, I made another detour to Paddys River Falls.

[​IMG]

I settled at the Club Motel Tumbarumba for the night, I think it is affiliated with the bowling club across the road. I was looking forward to a good feed, perhaps chicken parmigiana or scotch fillet. Boy was I disappointed, it was not like the bowling clubs in Sydney, the choice of food left a lot to be desired. Luckily there was a cafe just down the road and they open late on Fridays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woke up feeling fresh and renewed on Saturday (Day 2), I remembered 4 Bear Cafe from an earlier visit, so I went there for breakfast but somehow it did not feel the same. There were less bears and the red Chrysler was not there. Anyway they still serve food and coffee so it was fine by me.

[​IMG]

Next stop was Tumut, but instead of taking the usual Batlow Road, I went through Rosewood to Boradleaf Park Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is somewhere before Green Hills, I made a u-turn for this picture to show Batlow Road runs in parallel.

[​IMG]

I also ventured into some logging areas, though nothing was going on, they presented excellent photo opportunities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some very nice twisty sections along Greenhills Access Road.

[​IMG]

Before I know it I was already at Tumut, time for a refuel and to top up the Camelbak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the options were either head to Gundagai to take the Hume Highway, or more unsealed road to Wee Jasper, the choice was clear and Wee Jasper it was. The road was picturesque at first followed by 50km of dirt, some sections were tight and downhill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where the GPS was doing more harm than good, it asked me to go inside the forest, luckily I know better.

[​IMG]

More dirt and gravel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last, bitumen at the end of the dirt road and a picture to show I was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Wee Jasper to Yass was magic, it was beyond expectation. Great roads with great views and strangely I have not heard people talking it, possibly a well kept secret among the locals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was late by the time I got to Yass, luckily one cafe remained open where I got my coffee fix before the 250km of Hume Highway back to Sydney.

[​IMG]

All up 1,079km by the odometer, 1,086km by the GPS, including about 100km of dirt. I would call that a pretty good effort for 2 days and most importantly I had a great doing it.

[​IMG]

Link to map: https://goo.gl/G07lcW

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Another terrific report from the high country; thanks luilui! =D

That is a remarkable set of curves and photo of them. I've made a mental note of Greenhills Access Road.

I've been along here once in 2009 while driving a 4WD and towing a trailer - it's a fantastic stretch of road too and one I'll ride at some point too.

3. Great review, thanks for sharing.
    I've been hanging to do Wee Jasper Rd, I remember it as I used to go fishing there with my dad quite a while ago.
    One problem though I can't see all the pics, maybe multiple posts will sort that out instead of one long post.

4. Excellent write up, fantastic photos and a ride that you'll remember for many years to come (y). Well done luilui

5. Ignore me, I can see them now

6. It was just a cry for help :p

7. The roads around Tumba and Tumut are but an hour or so from my front door. They're bloody brilliant

8. Excellent! Thanks for sharing

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. If the Cafe at Tumbarumba, Nest, is the one with the market garden out back and the movie screenings the food is great. We hit it for lunch every year.

10. Yeah, I had the Kransky pizza at Nest Cafe and it was great, so was the coffee. I didn't want to risk it so ordered a large pizza just in case, but only finished half of it, the other half went to the next table. :)

11. They grow the Strawberries in the back year that were used in my Strawberry Milk Shack,it was very nice.

12. Great pictures and report! I planned to go down the Wee Jasper road on my from Wagga to Canberra but missed and went the full length of Brindabella road instead. Keen to get back and do what I planned to do again.

13. Great report, Lui. Thanks. I'm hoping the Internet will eventually deliver all the pictures!

14. If you refresh the page (F5 key for Windows) once or twice, all photos should display correctly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. #15 Valvoline, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
    For some reason I can't see half the photos! But if they are as good as the first lot; they're gonna be great :)

Ps. luilui What a great trip - thanks for sharing! I believe there is a photo of a rather large fish that is creaming out to be shared further in the thread... Australia's BIG items Hint, Hint! :p