Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Excited and Disappointed

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Flicka, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Hello,

On Monday I start my 2 day Stay Upright Pre-Learner Training Course. Not really looking forward to it because I've been told if you know how to ride this course is a waste of time.

I started riding bikes around the age of 12. I've never held a bike license. I did bush bashing and raced for approximately a year and a half at Mt Ginn in Canberra about the age of 14.

However I am excited about getting my L plates. I was excited going out to buy my bike but that didn't go the way I wanted it to. I wanted a Honda CBR 500. When I sat on the bike only my tip toes reached the ground. Not a problem as every bike I have owned I have only been able to touch the ground on tip toes. Most of the bikes I had rode in the past were 100cc to 125cc dirt bikes which are light.

The difference this time was while sitting on the bike I leaned it to the side to see if I could hold it up, I could hold it up but I could feel the weight. I realised if I put my foot on loose gravel and I slipped I might not be able to hold the 500 up if it started to go down. I silently cursed myself for being short. If I had been 2 inches taller I could have flat footed and then I know I could have held the bike up if it started to fall on me. Hugh sigh of disappointment.

I was taken over to the Honda CBR300 R. It's the same seat height as the 500 but it was a little bit lighter. I had to either settle for the 300 or give up the idea of riding a bike on the road. So I bought the 300. It will be delivered to me when I pass my L's which I hope to do on Wednesday if I've got time. If I can't get my L's on Wednesday I'll have to wait until next Monday because I work and can't get days off to get my L plates.

This last week has dragged by! I can only imagine how slowly next week will go if I can't get my L's on Wednesday.

So I've been riding from the age of 12 and get my L plates at the age of 56. Am I older and wiser? Probably not. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good one mate, yeah that course will probably bore u but stick with it. The 300s a good bike have fun and don't bin it .
  3. Welcome to the forum!
  4. A lot of the course is basic bike handling, but there's also some basic road craft in there as well which a pure dirt rider won't have experience with, so it's not a COMPLETE waste of time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Welcome along Flicka.
    Good luck with the Ls course. I'm sure when you get out on the road on your new bike, any disappointment will vanish
  6. My guess is you will have a big smile on your face the first time you throw the 300 into a set of corners. Quick, nimble and fun.
  7. Thanks all for the welcome! :)

I mainly bought the bike to ride to work. BUT it would have been nice to do a coast trip every now and then. The sales man told me the 300 is not ideal for highways because it is so light and will get pushed around by wind and the power is not great for highways.

I did look at some cruisers but they were way over my budget. Maybe I will meet other female riders my height 5'2 and ask them if small ladies can hold up a 500 if something unexpected happens.

I bought all my gear except for the helmet. They had to order one small enough for me, it should be here next week.

Some questions now...

On a fairing bike where can I put the heavy chain that is designed to help stop the bike from being stolen? I know not to put the chain on the wheel because they simply take the wheel off and then take the bike.

I've seen some reviews that tell me the brakes (mine is non ABS) are not good. Your thoughts on this?

Also the stock tyres have been called rubbish. What tyres would you recommend if the stock tyres are as bad as I am hearing.

8. I would say stop worrying, the brakes do their job and u decide if u like the Tyres or not. Sure there are better Tyres out there but I'm sure the standard ones will do the job for u. Tyres are a compromise between grip and longevity, my mate dropped $500 on super sticky Tyres and they were stuffed after 800 klms smashing the twistes.
  9. You might be surprised many people coming from a dirt background, don't do as well as they thought they would, and look like tits when they brag during the introductions about all their riding experience.

The course is an introduction to road motorcycling, aspects of road craft are discussed, you are taught how handle a bike both off and on the seat. In all your years of riding how many times have you had to find your indicators without looking down and remember to cancel them? probably never as your bike probably didn't have indicators. It's the little things like that that dirt riders struggle with.

The course is in no way designed to teach you HOW to ride a bike but rather familiarising you with the bike and what to expect and put into practice when you hit the road.

If it's mainly for while you are at work leave it chained to something at work rather than carrying it back and forth.

Reviews? or wankers with gopro's strapped to their heads? either way they either don't know what they are talking about or are comparing a Sub $10k bike with a $20k Super sports.

Again by who exactly? IRC might not have the prestige of names like Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin etc. but it is hard to find a bad tyre. soft sport orientated tyres won't make you a faster rider, they do however usually have poor wet performance and short life span.

Ride the bike and enjoy it forget about the rubbish people talk in reviews and make your own mind up about the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hi FlickaFlicka, welcome to NR and the black top. With all that experience, you'll be OK. I'm interested to hear your comments after you have done a few kay's on bitumen. Similar age, similar height, but part of the other half of the population. Took up riding late and absolutely love it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Hi Flicka,
    Try some of the cruisers, and then buy a good one second hand.
    Many of the 400's and 650's have a pretty low seat position, but some also have a narrower seat which helps your legs reach the ground easier.
  12. Unless you plan on entering sweepers at $1.40+ wind is unlikely to be an issue, power is sufficient. My thoughts on brakes/tyres is that your bravery will be more of a limiting factor, at least for a while; by which point you'll be skilled enough to manage them.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hi Flicka.

I have to be honest and say that even for an experienced dirt rider/racer the pre-learners isn't a waste of time.

Listen to what you are told, and do it.... piece of piss! :)

As for the bike...... maybe, if you are indeed a "petite" lady, you should take advantage of this.....maybe look at a Cagiva Mito or an Aprilia RS125.

OK they are no good for riding from Sydney to Perth, but they do go pretty hard, are cheap (apart from the fuel costs) and handle more like race bikes than road bikes.

Most importantly, they are FUN!

OK, if you NEED more power an Aprilia RS250. ;-)
  14. I will. :)

15. What kind of bike do you ride? Are you on tip toes too?
  16. When I sat on the 300, the seat did feel wide to me when I put my toes on the floor. I'm hoping when I get some confidence on the bike I will relax more and it won't feel so tall, heavy or wide. :)
  17. I don't think the RS250 is LAMS...
  18. Too late, I've already paid for the CBR300.

I don't need more power as such because I don't intend to speed or to try and burn cars off at the lights. I was just afraid that maybe the 300 doesn't have grunt to get me quickly out of a situation with a car rear ending me at traffic lights.
  19. Very few bikes have enough grunt, or more importantly space, to do that.

That's why you will be/have been taught that when you are stopped, at the likes of traffic lights, you are ready to move, you have looked at possible escape routes (between cars if need be) and are paying attention to your mirrors.......

(Note...this is stuff you probably didn't learn racing dirt bikes!)

The 300 should do you just fine to start with..... now, longer term, who knows..... I do know a lady of not too tall stature, who rides a Guzzi Norge.

She does have to plan stops, moving her bum to one side so that she can get a decent foot down to hold the bike..... how long it took her to refine this art, I dunno.

I guess I am just jealous.

I have a Cagiva 125 two stroke, great fun and pretty good performance, but, if I was 50 kilos rather than my 85 kilos, shit it would be a bloody quick wee bike.
    (But I ain't giving up beer just to make the wee bike faster!)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. You are, of course, right damedi.

But it is an absolute hoot to ride! :)

Mea Culpa.