Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Excess Petrol

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RIDDLER, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I have a 5L can of petrol that I just found when we moved into our house 2 years ago. So its most likely not lawn mower worthy and wondering if anyone knows how I can dispose the petrol safely without starting a bon fire on spending a million dollars at the tip

2. Most councils usually have some sort of hazardous chemical collection/disposal system in place - so best to start there. I've offloaded sooo much stuff that way, including some very nasty stuff (mercury, thallium, arsenic, uranium, bromoform, etc.)
  3. Put it in a Jap bike.
  4. While I realise the answer may be along the lines of "I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya", how and why do you find yourself in a situation where you need to dispose of these substances?
  5. just light the bastard
  6. I agree with Goz. Light that sucker
  7. It'd be more worrying if I was in a situation where I needed them ;).

Simple answer is that when you work for a University it's remarkably easy to accumulate all sorts of strange things. Occasionally though you do reach a point where quantities go from "it might come in useful someday" to "I'm not sure if I really want to be answering questions about this" :LOL:
  8. You never know when you need a Molotov cocktail.
  9. put it in a microwave.

10. as a fire fighter i say light the ****er
  11. Pour it on yourself, set it alight, then jump some huge gap on your bike and record it for posterity.

Realistically, use it on the weeds.
  12. Give it to a mechanic, old petrol is great to wash parts in.
  13. All great suggestions as always so looks like I'll be lighting the mother :D