Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Evoke Electric Motorcycles Aiming to Bring Affordability to Market

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Feb 1, 2016.

1. The words affordable and electric motorcycle don’t usually go hand in hand, but if a new Chinese based startup gets their way then we could soon see electric motorcycles that are priced in line with ICE bikes. While currently only available for sale in Beijing and Shanghai, the company has plans to expand further afield into South East Asia.

The main man behind the company known as Evoke is Nathan Siy who grew up in Canada and began his exploration of electric motorcycles while offering tours of Beijing using electric scooters. Thus was born the Evoke Urban S and Urban – both naked styled motorcycles that aren’t half bad looking compared to what often comes out of China.

While they certainly sit below American based Zero Motorcycles insofar as specifications go, they’re also course considerably cheaper too. And if there specifications are to be believed (yes, grain of salt time) then they’re remarkably good value. Costing the equivalent of about $6,500 USD, the Evoke Urban S manages a range of up to 160 kilometers and a top speed of 130 kph – more than adequate for China’s clogged roadways and still acceptable for most western commutes, too.

The Evoke Urban S uses a 7.2 kWh lithium cobalt battery which produces maximum power of 19 kw (25 horsepower). That puts it roughly in line with 150cc to 250cc machines. Curb weight is 183 kg and it sports twin discs up front with 4 pot calipers and 42mm inverted forks.

Would it pass muster in comparison to the Zero and Victory range? Maybe not, but it’s exciting to see that China is already entering the electric motorcycle game and that can only be good for prices and the technology going forward.

evoke-urban-001-450x188. evoke-urban-002-450x299. evoke-urban-003-450x300. evoke-urban-004-450x300.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. doesn't look to bad.

but at US6500, by the time you factor in exchange rate & the APO ( Australian Price Option) your looking at $20,000 still a bit to much.

3. In the US it would end up fairly cheap I think - there's $1 to $2k of government rebates depending on where you live in the states so it'd end up about $4,500 over there which is pretty remarkable for an electric motorcycle.

4. if they had it here at that price I would try it

5. As much as bikes like the Lightning LS-218 are good for carrying the electric flag into battle, it'll be "small" bikes like these that'll chime well with commuters and new riders and push the market forward IMO. Limited range would be less of an issue in those use cases.

What I'd like to see would be further standardisation across the auto industry of charging connectors and vehicle--charger comms, e.g.

Vehicle: "Hi, I'm "abc123" e-bike, I use this battery type and support these charge methods at these charge rates. I am at %capacity% out of these many amp hours"
    Charger: "OK "abc123" I support these charge methods and charge rates based on your information provided"
    Vehicle: "The rider says they're in a hurry, so I'll go for the quickest charge option."

Tesla making their charger patents open is a good step, but their charging algorithms are still closed IIRC.

6. hypatheticly if there was an Australian made electric bike that could do 1000km on a charge, what would be a fair price you would pay to buy one ?

7. like phones , an adapter plug from an australian power outlet to the socket on the bike through a power regulator

8. I don't know everyone's idea of a fair price is different.

I would also want to know if I'm eventually going to be slugged extra for switching to an electric vehicle.

More & more American states are starting to penalise owners & manufactures of such vehicles in some case retrospectively as the realise they are losing out on fuel excise tax, the owners of said vehicles are bypassing.

States Used to Help People Buy Electric Cars. Now They Punish Them for It.

9. If its under ~8k they can consider it sold, for $10k they will have to throw a few extra cells in and beef the motor up a little more.

I have quite literally $10-15k sitting in the pot for the Zero or a second hand one and for the life of me just can't justify the purchase or cost savings of $20k when I can commute on my similarly performing $1k zzr250, put $15 of fuel in it twice a week and change the oil for $30 every $5k.

To be honest symbiate1 I don't really need 1000km per charge and ideally only want around 150 freeway-250 urban. Realistically if I was going to ride to QLD I would do it on a larger dinosaur burning tourer.
    I've already scouted out my workplace and know where all the powerpoints in the carpark are, all I need is work and back per charge!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lost me at Chinese

• Funny Funny x 1