Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ever wonder who did R&D on your model bike?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Mar 2, 2015.

1. while riding through the hills on your favourite bit of road, do you ever wonder who did the R & D on your model bike? was it a proven ex mbike racer putting hours of trying various shock/spring rate settings, to get it just right, or just build it and hope for the best.

was 1 person given the task of setting up the handling on a track or was it a committee full of bean counters that created your bike out of the parts bin, and have it put together based on a 'sales prediction'.

what do you think of the birth of your model? sales chart special or undeniable DNA?
  2. I am quite sure that my SRX6 was just cobbled up out of Yammie bits that they had a lot of, and someone "breathed on" it to ensure that it had a small number of unique parts to keep them coming back though there is nothing we can offer in the way of replacement.

The 1250 Bandit was just an evolutionary thing. Update the basic engine design to include liquid cooling and fuel injection and just fit it out with whatever is cheapest. Sell lots of them at the price, and people will be happy or sort such things as suspension, lighting themselves. Do the dealers a favour with buckets & shims (under - camshaft removal required) and hope that the buyers will think it's OK to put up with a big ticket service every so often, (24000km) cause not many backyarders are going to attempt it.

Setting up on a track? Either of these bikes benefits from a good going over in the suspension area.

Bean counters, for sure. Maybe some designers to get the cosmetics they think buyers want.
  3. Some sections, DNA, others ... whoever designed the motor had a gift, but it sure wasn't hearing!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. German engineers, who don't ride but study charts and spreadsheets designed mine.
  5. All I know is the headlight shroud was designed by an engineer with a spacial inversion issue.....

Replacing a globe is like picking a lock, whilst upside-down, with only the mirror image of what you're working on as a point of reference....

Hmmmm - Italian design......sure it looks good..
  6. My viffer 750? Prolly some dedicated Japanese engineers who'd finally been told "Make something good and fast."

My Husqy? Not sure, but they seem to have applied the "She'll be right" methodology to the cam chain/tensioner...

Maybe it would be easier if you drank a couple of bottles of wine first and concurrently?
  7. Whenever I rode my old Z750 through some bumpy twisties, I would imagine a chimpanzee staring at the forks with a confused look on his face. While he scratched himself.

With the Hyper, no idea who did the R&D but I always remember Ruben Xaus doing the worldwide launch ...

... and then I feel like the chimpanzee.
  8. I'm not to sure who did the technical R&D on my GS500 but I'm pretty sure someone was drunk when they said "You know what this entry level bike needs? A full set of fairings!"
  9. As far as assembly goes, the Hyper was derived from the Multistrada 1000 so the motor's lineage can be traced all the way back to the Pantah.

So I imagine that there's some historical reason that the oil screen is on the side of the sump, so you have to remove the header to do an oil change. Or why it uses a 14mm allen socket which isn't needed anywhere else on the bike. Or why the bleed nipple for the rear brake is on the bottom of the caliper, so you have to unmount the caliper to bleed any air bubbles out.
  10. Single-sided swingarm, it used to be on the other side on some other model, so they just flipped it over?
  11. That'd be my guess as well malJohannmalJohann. Nearly 30yrs since the 916 though, you'd think they would've had top-bleeding calipers by now.
  12. Most racers are like 50kgs. So if they did it would it really work for me...
  13. Would it work alright for backbleeding?
  14. Not really, because the banjo fitting for the hose back to the MC isn't at the highest point of the caliper either. Apparently pressure-bleeding can work, but most people just unmount it, rest it on the top of the rotor and bleed it conventionally from there.
  15. Something like this...

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. i know my bike is from wrong era.......but if there was ONE person i would like to imgaine as doing the set up for my Honda, it woudl be Mick (mike the bike) HAILWOOD. i could just imagine him doing laps at a jap circuit and reporting back a slight 'tweak here and there', to the honda engineers with thier clip boards, and hence why my bike feels so damn good on the road......
  17. DR650 - They're probably dead by this point, been a decade since any update that wasn't the paint.
    W800 - Had a fetish for old euro bikes and clicker pen springs.
  18. One word: platform sharing- from golden olden days into an almost virtual world-
    If you don't want to be robbed of wishful thinking, DON'T read page10 of:

http://www.ricardo.com/Documents/RQ pdf/RQ 2011/Q2/RQ_Q2_2011.pdf

Once a perhaps passionate vision takes commercial shape, then the above description covers about 80% of the birthing process in the case of this machine, the BMW K1600

The actual test riding of 'the product', following her launch, is then carried out by the biggest department: the customers : who are happy to pay A LOT for this privilege and give more or less appreciated-by BMW HQ at Neuschwanstein- feed back of the highs n lows experiences with these brilliantly concieved, maddeningly unfinished machines in real road world - again specifically in the K!6 case in this instance.

But at some point, there MUST have been the human who posed the "What if" question-
    Can just see his mates fall about laughing when he drew a rudimentary thing he called a 'WHEEL' on the cave wall.
    After that only minor modifications were added...