Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Evasive action so as not to be hit by a car driver?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Jul 21, 2007.

1. AAMI put out a recent press release. A little poll please :wink:

2. Does it count if the evasive action was unsuccessful? :(

3. What about if you've been in a car/truck and had to avoid a bike? Done that more than a few times.............

Regards, Andrew.

4. I thought that evasive action was just part of the day...normal as such... :wink:

5. Yep. Cept replace 'car' with 'truck'.

Evasive action = ride up a driveway at 50km p/h on a main road and practice emergency braking on concrete footpath :?

6. I think there should 3 options.

1: Yes

2: No and I have been on the road with my bike.

3: No because I haven't been on the road with my bike.

:)

I just thought people could truthfully say No because they weren't on the road at all (at least with a bike). There is nothing stating one should only answer if they have been on the road with a bike. Possibly even, 10+ hours in the last 4 weeks or other pre-determined number/date time-frame :)

7. Wouldn't that fit in with the AAMI press release Mouth made a poll in reaction to? Seeing as it was about cars 'versus' motorbikes + scooters pretty much.

8. Yes it would.
    Merely pointing out motorcyclists are not all saints, and that some do indeed cause our collective reputations to be tarnished.
    I see many posts about "bloody cagers" here and how they weren't paying attention/were in a rush ignoring other road users, think they own the road etc, then the riders go on about how they get pissed off about slow drivers getting in the way, ruining their lines etc.
    Seems both sides can be equally bad and that some people have a myopic vision of what happens on the roads.........
    I personally find it intersting that there are so few bikes on the roads, but motorists believe they are a huge problem. Whether that says motorists do not understand laws and how they apply to motorcycles, are plain jealous of motorcycles or that a large percentage of motorcyclists ride like tools is open to discussion.

Regards, Andrew.

9. Today, on my way to Gembrook for a pleasant afternoon's ride I was almost collected by a manic L plater who was all over the place, weaving around cars and almost collected me as I was moving to the left lane after passing a car. He tried to pass me on my left at high speed, in between me and the car - maniac. I'm an L plater as well and now that I am getting used to the bike I can understand the feeling of freedom and invulnerability, but the later is what gets you hurt.

10. Can't remember taking evasive action recently.

Mind you, that might mean it's so routine I don't notice any more :p .

11. Yes, and there is little chance i will ever register (or insure) a bike again. What is the point? Boring, dangerous, no help from authoratahhhhh...

They hassle us, and all we do is avoid getting skittled. That's shit.

12. Yep, I can think of two instances:

- An L plater changing lanes into me as I passed

- A truck trying to rear-end me on Footscray Road leaving work; it missed by a few centimetres but only because I moved at the last minute :shock:

13. Got a point there. It's become so common now that I don't even acknowledge it to myself any more. My experiance is that it's got dramatically worse over the last two or three years. Even in the cage I would say I need to take some kind of action to avoid a collision about every one or two minutes (peak hour). It's not really seriously life-threatening unless your on a bike I suppose.
    I tend to only notice the ones that require a really intense amount of effort to get out of. That would be about once a week.
    I'll put down Yes then.

14. Yep, I thought it was a 'normal' occurrence too :?

15. different situations - different response.
    On my daily commute, I see the same cars every day. We sorta have an understanding now, and we stay out of each others way, and know when we are near. Most will move out of the way at the lights, as they know I don't barge through between them at 100kmh, but trickle thru at 20kmh. Sorta like, You respect me, and I respect you kinda thing.

On the weekends,, like this morning for instance - it was oh oh, watch out. People doing U turns everywhere, turning into side streets without indicators or looking, and generally being asleep at the wheel.

16. old granny decided to pull out when i was less then 50 meters from the intersection she was turning out of, ended up locking the rear up sliding closer and closer to her car sideways, mangaing to actually pul the bike up in the narrow space between her car and the traffic island, where i gave a knock on her side panel with my left hand, and she pulled over when she realised i was there

17. The road into the Uni, is one I like to refer to as running the gaunlet... :LOL:
    Busy street with lots of side streets, and just the right mixture of Uni students... :shock: and snobs in Range Rovers... :roll:
    Early morning is bad, as the students wobble around hungover, in ice covered cars.....I had a recent near miss.. :roll:
    I hate when you suspect they haven't seen you, and then promptly confirm that fear by pulling out in front of you! :shock:
    I had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road, and when we both stopped, I looked back to see the apologetic wave.... :roll:
    Ah the adrenalin.....nothing like a quick wake up call on the way to work!

A few days ago, the radio reported a survey of Hobart folk, think that motorcyclists are hoons...84% think this, to be precise. Granted, it was a trashy radio station, but it's bad publicity for us, that we don't need.
    I'd like to hear the results of the motorcyclists' survey on other road users!
    Or better still, publish the results of this simple poll, which beautifully highlights the close calls we all have to endure in our travels.
    My 2c
    :grin:

18. The road into the Uni, is one I like to refer to as running the gaunlet... :LOL:
    Busy street with lots of side streets, and just the right mixture of Uni students... :shock: and snobs in Range Rovers... :roll:
    Early morning is bad, as the students wobble around hungover, in ice covered cars.....I had a recent near miss.. :roll:
    I hate when you suspect they haven't seen you, and then promptly confirm that fear by pulling out in front of you! :shock:
    I had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road, and when we both stopped, I looked back to see the apologetic wave.... :roll:
    Ah the adrenalin.....nothing like a quick wake up call on the way to work!

A few days ago, the radio reported a survey of Hobart folk, think that motorcyclists are hoons...84% think this, to be precise. Granted, it was a trashy radio station, but it's bad publicity for us, that we don't need.
    I'd like to hear the results of the motorcyclists' survey on other road users!
    Or better still, publish the results of this simple poll, which beautifully highlights the close calls we all have to endure in our travels.
    My 2c
    :grin:

19. Yes, +1 car with trailer waiting until i was on top of him before pulling out from a side street and +1 but it was a truck who changed lanes on to me forcing me to brake hard and go onto the wrong side of the road and just shrugged when i was on the horn and he finally looked in his mirror.. as he kept coming over!

20.  Top