Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Evaporative or split system cooling?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Roarin, Oct 31, 2008.

1. As the title suggest's I'm looking to install either into my house. Anyone had both for caomparisons sake -at different times mind you? :) Pro's con's for either. Absolutely hate one and wish they got the other.
    I'm not worried about reverse cycle heating as I like looking at the nice red glowing gas heater in my lounge. Post away :grin:

2. We have a split system reverse cycle aircon in our house (lounge) - highly recommended, very glad we did it about 2 years ago. Does not make a big dent in our power bill and we hardly fire up the wood burner in winter. During winter we leave it on almost 24 hours at times!
    Excellent in summer and winter, very versatile also very handy during the humid season. (for our conditions)

If you go for the split system aircon, make sure you go for at least a 5kW system - the smaller units will most likely not cope well.

I'm not a big fan of the evaporative system (if its the system that I'm thinking of) as it chucks moisture (by it's very nature) into your home.
  3. Evaporative cooling performs poorly in a humid environment and given the amount of moisture it adds to the air can contribute greatly to mould in the home. They are really only efficient in a dry environment. They are however cheaper than airconditioning - which is the only reason they sell so well in Australia in areas that really shouldn't have a market for them.

Split system out of your two options.
  4. We've got ducted evaporative cooling and it works great here but I'm inland in a dry area.

In areas close to the sea where the humidity is higher they work less well and in high humidity areas like northern qld coastal they are almost useless.

The main advantage is that the running costs for ducted evaporative systems are roughly 10 times less than for a couple of large split systems (which would be needed to cool a similar area).
  5. had evaporative installed 2 yrs ago (Melbourne based)

went thru all the compos....
    refrig/split units are much more expensive ..decent ones for a 20sq house
    were $10-$13k v $4 for the Evap
    and they cost the earth to run ($800 v $300 monthly bills)
    but work better in humid areas (Sydney and further north)

on a hot (38° Melbourne day) my evap keeps the whole house
    at around 25°. My neighbours refrig/split system can get it down to
    23° ....for 3 times the energy cost :shock:

my 2c
  6. Shee . . .it! That's a lot! My split system cools a large open plan area + a bedroom for an electricity bill of about $250 for the summer quarter.
  7. Before we go comparing the systems like your examples above we need to know the house designs, what each system installed is and so forth.

I have a 9kw/8.8kw Panasonic reverse cycle system with inverter technology. Cost around $2,500 installed. In summer it does a pretty good job of the area that it needs to cool. It has a lot of uncovered glass area (will be rectified) with insulated roof (flat roof style) and walls where there isn't window glass. Area is about 5 or 6 squares.

Last summer we had the room at around 25 degs when it was 42 outside.

I can't remember the power bill but I think it was still over $400. But we have other high energy use items in the house, too.
  8. Split works well for me, all year round.
  9. Our evap ducted unit will keep the house at about 25 degrees C even on hot summer days and that's cooling 25 squares of house.

It cost $6500 installed (with the optional electronic zone control unit and the more efficient water flush system).

In order to cool that much house it would take 3 large split system units (which would cost a lot of $ to run).

I agree if you are only cooling a small part of a house (say 4 to 6 squares) then a split system is the easiest way to do it.

If you have lots of $ to spend then a ducted refrigerated air-con system like my mothers place has is easily the best system (but it costs lots big $ to run).
  10. Excellent stuff. I've been leaning towards the evaporative system but there does not seem to be a lot of people using them. No real negatives for them that I've come accross yet. I'm in Geelong and I don't think you would call that a real humid climate -the biggest drawback for efficient operation of the evap systems. From what I can gather they seem to work quite well up to around 30% humidity. Have to check the summer temp/humidity records I guess :) :)
  11. Got a ducted evap system fitted and cools the house well.

Downside is the need to have windows or doors open for the air to escape. We fitted vents in the bedroom doors the same size as the ceiling vents to help air flow around the house.

Splits cost more to run and only really cover the room the unit is located in but you can leave the external doors and windows shut.
  12. Our house was built in 1946. It got an extension done in around 1993. The extension is fully insulated but the idiots who we bought the place off didn't bother spending an extra few hundred bux to do the old part of the house (around 14 squares). I did this last year after we bought the place.

The old part of the house didn't have any heating except for a gas wall furnace in one room that was stuffed. The new bit has a solid fuel heater down the far back corner. It has no fan assist.

So, for the first winter we had little portable heaters in teh various rooms up the front. Then around spring we got the gas central heating installed to the old or front part of the house. It has a refrig. A/C coil built in. All we need to do is to come up with the $6k to get the outside gear installed and the front will have zoned computer controlled heating/cooling.

The back part will have the split system for heating/cooling, but the Coonara is going and a gas space heater is going in in its place. You know, one of those heaters that looks like a log fire?

So, we'll have a cool/warm house but yeah, it will cost a few buckazoids to run.

My brother has ducted evap cooling. He swears by it but whenever I'm there if it's running (which it hardly is) the place has this smell about it, or it's really sweaty inside.

I remember visiting a local refrig mob to get a quote to get ducted A/C for our other house. They had the showroom cooled (and I use the term loosely) with an evap system. It was like walking into a steamy jungle. Not a good advert for one of their products.
  13. 2 Cal bungalows in bayside Melbourne
    both original fronts (about 10sq) with 15sq additions (and 9' ceilings)
    I am comparing my setup (evap) with my next door neighbour (refrig)
    his costs v mine
  14. The split systems pump out a very cold and somewhat unatural feeling blast (probably because the air is dry), where as the evap. systems you can have your windows open and they make a breeze thru the house. Depends on whether you want a house like a fridge or not.
  15. Correct.

The Split system throws out what I have dubbed as a "crisp chill".

It's rather un-natural kinda cooling and one that would force you to cover up if you are in direct line of the outlet.

We have had both, I have fallen asleep in a room where the refrigerated system has poured air out all over me and I couldnt move for days.

This house that we built has evap and it's a much nicer kinda cooling effect.

The mould isnt an issue. The house doesn't have that icy crisp feel to it.
    As others have said, on a 35c day it keeps the house at a comfy 25c.

2 votes for evap.

-1 for refrigerated.

Oh, and the noise is far less with an evap too ;)