Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Euthanasing a Printer?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by AdamR33, May 15, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I have a challenge for the more computer minded people.

We have a printer at work that has done over 650,000 pages. It is an old Kycoera. It is a great printer apart from the fact it will jam up every 2nd page.

My boss is tight and cheap and only keeps getting it repaired (which lasts about 2 weeks), rather than get a new printer.

I would have thought that a piece of office equipment that we rely so heavily on would be something that gets priority replacement.

Anyway I was trying to think of ways to kill it. I can think of plenty of overt ways of doing it, but then I would get in trouble.

So my question is, anyone know a way of killing it covertly without leaving any evidence of tampering or the like.

Your help would be appreciated by everyone in my office apart from my boss :grin:

Adam

2. #2 Loz, May 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. You could try sticking it in a freezer for a while. Lots of old electronics don't like extreme cold.

A printer at work 10 years ago would refuse to print in the right place first thing in the morning, until it had spent 15 mins over the heater. Another example is that an hour in the freezer used to be the standard means of rendering hot car stereos useable if they were security coded.

4. Having worked with printers for more than 20 years I can say that hardly a day goes by that I don't feel the desire to kill a printer. Unfortunately the Printing and Kindred Industries Union takes a dim view of the killing of its members (something to do with reduced income from dues, I think).

It used to be possible to get rid of them with the odd wayward forklift, or 'accidental' electrocution, but I tell ya what - it's getting harder and harder to get away with killing a printer nowadays. B@stards still deserve it, though.

5. Get a cable that's the same as the connecting cable (network, usb, etc), and wire it up to a mains plug.

Plug into the printer, then the mains (preferably one with a switch!) switch on and off. Remove cable, extinguish any fires.

No evidence of tampering, just one burnt out (possibly in more then one way) printer...

(Whilst I heartily endorse this idea of killing the printer, it has it's risks. Don't electrocute yourself while doing this and don't blame me if you do so. I just provided the knowledge, you did the damage yourself.)

6.  Top
  7. I've got 2 words for you...
    Bunnings and Sandpaper... you can figure the rest out ;)

:LOL:

8. Look for any exposed circuit boards. take a small screwdriver, and use to chisel off a few SMD resistors. Problem solved. I always dreamed on trying the phone-lines-in the mains/USB in the mains. Would be good.

(I wonder what it would do to the exchange if you shorted the phone wires from the plug in the wall through the mains plug... - any telco engineers can vouch for that one?)

9. I have bad news for you. It's a Kyocera. at 650,000 pages it's just getting into its stride.....

10. :shock: Being a Printer myself I got real worried at the title of the thread. :LOL:

11. Do you have any giant / high powered magnets?

:wink:

12. Just print this several times and leave it in the tray:

13. No but i can vouch that if you plug your phone line plug into the network port of your laptop/pc it will fry it... phone lines carry up to 40volts i think, networks only like up to 5v if i remember correctly... (POE excluded :p )

14. I'm not a telco engineer, but I suspect that you wouldn't be the first person to have thought of it so I'd expect protection systems to be in place.

Phone wires are such piddly little thin things, I doubt if they'd carry the current to do anything really exciting.

Anyway, I wouldn't try it as Telstra can probably afford better lawyers than you can :grin: .

15. Phone lines carry 80VAC when they ring anyway (which on a side note, you can use as a nasty practical joke ;))

There will be some protection at the exchange, but that doesn't mean it won't do damage, and chances are it'll only be a small part damaged (ie, your part!)

16. Really... i thought was 40v when ringing but i dunno... as I was helping a friend with a phone extension, and i was stripping wires... with my teeth... and someone just happened to ring through at that very moment... I saw a blue spark fly from the inside of my mouth, through my teeth and lip to the other exposed wire... hurt a lil bit too :p

17. We brought a cheap laser printer back to Oz from Canada. Didn't have the option to change voltages from the 110 they use there to 240. Thought "What the hell, it's useless anyway, let's plug it in and see what happens". Bang, smoke, dead.

Really just more of a printer story than anything useful to you - unless you happen to know a country that uses 480 V power. ;)

BTW, I'd give it a careful think about how much you like your job, 'cos if you get busted it's probably a case of saying goodbye to it.

In the mean time, maybe just a few of the boss's pet projects could get seriously delayed due to printer issues...?

18. Or have a 3-phase outlet handy ;).

19. Lol thanks for all the responses, as much as I would like to go all Office space on the POS I probably cant get away with it. :cry:

I think when it gets jammed I will open and close the doors, trays etc violently in the hope it does break something good and proper.

Stupid Printer

20. Alright, funnies aside. The printer is certainly due for a maintenance kit, which, when done, will restore paper feeding and all other mechanical functions to original. Most Kyocera printers of any substance usually need an MK at around 180,000 pages. If yours had one then, it's due again; if it didn't it's a miracle it's working at all now.

Contact kyocera www.kyoceramita.com.au and ask 1. the price of the kit, and 2. the availability of an accredited technician to install it.

Or, for the paltry price of around $1,300 you could replace it altogether with a 35 page per minute, duplex, network printer, with a two year on-site warranty http://www.kyoceramita.com.au/FS3900DN.ASP

Cost per page is around 1c at 5% coverage; you won't get better than that anywhere.