Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Euthanasia and the government Poll

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by davidp1984, Aug 28, 2011.

?
  1. Governments Decision

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Own Right

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. In light of the other thread. I want to pose the question on whether you believe the government should have the control to decide whether euthanasia should be illegal or is it a natural right of each adult of a sound mind.

2. I have problems with this poll, it is a decision of the parliament and it should be a conscience decision. But personally I believe in restricted circumstances it is a human right.

3. There are several questionable aspects to this pole. The most obvious one, is that we're preaching to the choir. I look at the result now (2, 9, 1) and that's about the breakdown I'd expect among motorcyclists. That's not the same as a random sample of society. All we're establishing at this point is that mostly, we're all singing from the same hymn book.

4. Apparently 85% of Australians are in favor of a voluntary euthanasia law according to a poll.

5. ... I think the government should be euthanized!!.....

.. as much as I would like to have the choice of when my life ends (should my life change drastically in some way)... I think there are too many variables to make it a viable option.

6. I am pro choice, but that said I think left unchecked nasty things can happen. I would only support medical euthanasia, not because someone is feeling emo this month.

Someone without a quality of life should have a route to mercy without having to take drastic or painful measures.

So I would be open to having a board of medical review approving euthanasia on the behalf of a family or the individual in question, and I would support individuals going before a local magistrate to please their case for it as well.

7. I hate to pick the poll apart but for the countries that have legalised euthanasia, its been because of a government decision to make it legal for the individual to decide. The second choice is some strange system of government where it's upto individuals to decide what all law are. I fully support the right of individuals to euthanasia (with strict governence) but I don't support a system of government where all laws are decided by popular choice or opinion polls.

8. The government should not have any say in a person who wants to make a decision that does not affect the life/health, liberty or property of another person (if it DOES affect one of those things and the affected person has given consent, the government should stay the **** out of it).

9. Democracy used to mean the will of the people didn't it?

I might be to young to remember that far back...

10. If they were that well that they could go before a magistrate, they would be well enough to take their own life, surely...

11. Democracy is just a fancy way of saying "A big group of people shitting on a smaller group of people"