Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

European Initial Rider Training Programme

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 28, 2008.

1. The European Initial Rider Training Programme - a joint exercise of FEMA the European road riding motorcyclists' federation, FIM the World motorcycle sport federation and ACEM, the European motorcycle manufacturers' association has been released.

I won't post the media release as it's probably better to go straight to the IRT downloads page and have a real look.

The handbook is certainly well worth reading.

The rider and industry people on VMAC will be bringing this to the attention of VicRoads and I'll be very interested to get peoples opinion of this programme.
  2. That handbook as about 1000 times better then the rubbish they feed new riders here in the ACT.
  3. Speaking of training I see that if I lived in QLD I could get advanced training for $45 a day

something like this costs about $250 a day down here in Vic.
    (we do have the yarra ranges instructed ride but this seems more substantial than that)

pity VMAC won't spend some of our levy subsiding training for us vics.

but I forgot its speed that kills, not lack of skill
  4. Rider Training

I've only read a few pages of the Euro. Rider Training Manual, what a gem it is. Certainly wish they'd introduce a similar thing here, i.e. wherever you are when you apply for your learners' permit you are handed this manual along with a DVD. When you undertake your training the trainer goes thru' the lot and asks you questions about being on your bike, safety, road rules, apparell etc.

I was very critical of my Q-ride training and when told to do various actions I asked "why do I need to do this, why does this happen" - in particular I refer to counter-steering. The reason I was given 'because it works that way'. No explanation about gyroscopic forces. I might be female but I do comprehend these things!!!

The m/cycle mortality rate in Qld is horrific and initial training etc must wear some of the blame. I appreciate we cannot totally "idiot proof" riding/driving. If someone has the desire to dial it on, we cannot sit on their shoulders and say "hey bud slow down".

Bikes, or any vehicle for that matter, are powerful machines which if not understood, respected etc can and do have a devastating and life-changing effect. And then we have to consider road conditions - don't let me get started ... quite frankly there is a lot to learn.

What about making advanced road rider training mandatory??? I'm looking to book into another course as I have just gone up to a larger bike. I learnt so much more on the first and will no doubt gain more at a second.

Apologies about rabbiting on - I am passionate about improved training and general safety.

5. The average Aussie trainee rider doesn't do that much reading in a lifetime, it'd be a waste of time using that booklet here :(.
  6. VMAC (Roadsafe/Vicroads) do spend some of our levy on training. Here in Mildura we have an annual Roadsafe course. It consists of an evening 2 seminar on road safety, skills and road craft, followed by a supper. Then on the Sunday a full day of riding skills training. This year HART was invited to do it. They use different training providers each year.
    A BBQ lunch provided ...all for this year at a cost of $40.

But it seems there were only about 40 riders who think they needed to improve their skills.

I enjoyed it...and still learnt a few things...and rectified a bad habit that has crept in.
  7. IRT Manual

I was quite stunned by your statement. It has given me a “bee (hornet) in my bonnetâ€!

I certainly have to query what you mean by ‘average’ – are you talking average AGE or perhaps average INTELLIGENCE? What and/or how exactly have you based your statement?

Speaking with various motorcycle businesses it is apparent that the average age of persons buying motorcycles has shifted. A high percentage of sales are being sold to the 30 – 45 year age group (seeking a lifestyle change) and many in this age group consist of professional, semi-professional and trade qualified persons. Many are returning to two wheels after a long absence and they are buying more ‘up-market’ bikes. During their absence much has changed in bikes et al. Ergo it is advisable they proceed through an advanced training course to refresh their skills.

If you may be referring to intelligence – well the only comment I can offer is that stupidity has no age barrier!

It is a rather sad indictment that you think distribution of such a booklet would not be beneficial. I prefer to take the tack that by taking the horse to water there’s a better than even chance that it might drink or, in this case, the trainee rider (whatever age they are) may make the effort to read the booklet.

Have you read this document (all 76 pages)? It is exceptionally good and in my opinion something similar should be made available here. I know your age and presuming you may be a family man/woman – my question to you is – if you had a son or daughter considering riding a motorbike would you not suggest they read as much info’ as possible to aid them, protect them and make them safe?? So much more co-ordination is required to ride and control a motorcycle than other forms of transport. In order to get a car licence we all have to read and understand the road code/rules.

It is terrific to read the forums on Netrider and see the number of riders young and mature joining to seek advice from those with greater experience. We must all promote safe riding or driving by whatever means we can and yes, it is difficult to idiot-proof as there is a minority who ruin it for the majority.

We are all "trainees" in the things we do and the more info' we have the better informed we are. Do you perhaps have alternative suggestions to improve rider training and promote rider safety?

8. It'll never happen. Why? Because of cost. It is ingrained in our society that rider's/driver's licence is my right, and it should cost me as little as possible, whilst demanding the very minimum of standards from me as I can muster.

Regards, Andrew.