Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Euro speed limits

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by trd2000, Oct 16, 2012.

1. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mits.svg/1000px-European_Speed_Limits.svg.png

just saw this posted elsewhere and thought it may be food for thought.

many of these countries have more traffic, twistier roads , shorter distances and friggin serious ice..... yet they maintain higher national speed limits and many have lower road tolls per person or km than we do in Aus.

just another sign that our domestic road safety is focussing far too much of its attention one one area at the expense of others.

2. Why is it 113 in the UK...that's weird

:edit: Ah nevermind, remembered they run on miles there and it converts to 70mph. Weird they haven't wholly embraced metrics yet...

3. To be honest this is a bit misrepresentative as it includes the highest limit as the national, if Australia was included it would be 130kmh (from the NT).

Also we have a lower death rate per 100000 population than Spain, Italy, France and a few others. Germany is the exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Fact is that there is no correlation between road limit and fatality it is more inappropriate speed that is the issue.

I agree with the message the method just needs work.

4. Most western European countries have 130 km/h limits on rural freeways only, and 100 or 110 on two-lane country roads.
    It can also vary due to weather conditions, for example in France the speed limit on the Autoroute is 130 in the dry, 110 in the rain. The signage for this is wonderful - like most European road signs, completely obvious what it means despite having no words on it at all:

C25b_ex1.

5. it's ludicrous that the Hume isn't 130. it would cut over an hour off the trip between sydney and melbourne and help so much with fatigue.... seems like every time we drive it someones run off the side of the road inexplicably in good conditions... i can only assume a lot of it is people falling asleep.

6. there's signs like that (or one i know of atleast) on the F3 heading upto gosford in nsw...

7. The Euro governments will always be smarter than the dumbfarks we have in Australia. Same goes with the people. Also, education is much better, licensing much more stringent. So it's no wonder they can have higher speed limits and lower road tolls than us. It all comes down to the system working the way it should and quality of education and training.

8. That's because Germans are amazing :D

But seriously, the problem is that some people don't understand that a speed limit is a MAX speed, not a MIN speed (some need to try going infinity in their car in Bavaria, only then will they understand).
    Driver education helps, adjusting your speed to the current conditions is vital. Aqua planing seems to be a phrase some people have never heard of... that's inexcusable and points out that something is wrong with the licencing system. This is the reason why the max allowed speed on some roads is set lower in wet conditions (because people don't think themselves).

Road signs are a different topic. I have trouble finding speed limit signs on roads here, even though I am looking out for them! Apart from the fact that they are tiny, they are hidden in stupid spots. Then there's all those other signs with loads of words on it... by the time I've read it, I've passed it already.
    One sign I really dislike, is the big red square that simply says 'Reduce Speed'. It doesn't say why, it doesn't say what to look out for. How am I supposed to know what the danger is, if they don't tell me what to expect?

9. I wouldn't trust australian drivers to be able to do much faster on the freeways.

The day I was driving up the F3. Garbage bin fell off a ute 10 seconds up ahead and I slowed down to about 80, just seeing what it was doing. Ending up rolling into my lane and I slowed down to about 40.

Checking the rear vision mirror, some turkey in a ute hasn't noticed the two cars in front of him slow (it was very very obvious) ... ends up almost plowing into the back of me (I was watching the rear vision mirror and drove onto the inside shoulder of the freeway to get out of his way)

I was furious. The guy thinks he deserves to drive 120 on a freeway, but cannot be bothered actually watching where he is going when he is driving. I had my infant son in the car as well.

Seriously, how hard is to to buffer, have lane awareness, watch for people doing stupid things at exits/entrances... it's offensive that they don't care enough to.

Anyway, the ute hit the garbage bin and it would have damaged his car, which made me a little happier

10. he was napping. that happens at a hundred.

edit:
    probably baking cupcakes or reading a novel or something. have to do something with your time.

11. +1 to all of that, especially the ridiculous "reduce speed" sign a kilometre before the western end of the Eastern Freeway. Road signage in Melbourne can be pretty shocking, not just speed limits but often street names are missing and complicated roundabouts and intersections of major highways are signposted badly, or too late for people to be able to get in lane in advance. VicRoads could learn a lot from British A-road and motorway signage.

It's way too easy to get a driver's licence (or motorbike licence, for that matter) in Australia and most anglophone countries. The new "25 hour log book" scheme here and passenger restrictions on P platers feel more like pointless hoops to jump through than anything that would make people better drivers. Most people are taught to drive by their parents rather than by qualified instructors, and even the ones who do get driving lessons seldom get first hand experience in how to deal with adverse conditions - I know I didn't - but changing that would result in such a huge outcry that it's politically infeasible.

On the opposite extreme, in Germany it costs €1000-2000 to get your licence because of all of the lessons and tests you need to do. Including a first aid course!

12. they should attach CTP to everyones license as a start, that way people would be less likely to get them and hold on to them if they weren't interested in using them.

13. Nah, then you get non-vehicle-owners subsidising vehicle owners. Or couples with one car between them paying double the CTP.

14. I remember being in England and hardly a speed sign ever. I actually left the country with no clue what the speed limits on the highways were, I just did the same speed as everyone else to avoid being rear ended by a Astin Martin at warp speed..

15. What I noticed in France was the country roads were marked with lower speed limits than they would have been in Autralia, but the freeways had higher speeds. In Britain the highway and motorway limits were conditional, dry = 130 km/h, wet = 110 km/h. I don't remember seeing speed signs in Scandinavia or Switzerland, but no doubt they did have them.

16. Unless otherwise signed, roads in England follow the national speed limit: 70 mph on motorways and dual carriageways, 60 mph on single carriageways in non-residential rural areas (might be 50 now, they were talking about reducing it when I was living there) and 30 mph in urban areas.

Nope, in Britain all of the motorways are 70 mph (112 km/h) max - although you could be forgiven for thinking that the limit is 80 mph from the way people drive ;) You're not likely to get pulled over by cops for being a little bit over the limit and the speed cameras are very easy to spot.

17. Is there another word for the big freeways then? I could swear the big freeways were signed at 130 km/h, it was significantly faster feeling than here. It was in 2006 that I was there.

18. Definitely wouldn't have been signed in km/h, Britain uses mph everywhere. Could have been France or Italy.

19. Driver education.. they dont hand out licences in coco pops boxes over there... they actually spend time with their new drivers teaching them to drive a car.. not let the car drive them.. they earn the right to drive at those speeds and are fully capable of doing so..

So many in this country believe driving is a god given right and all the processes to get the plastic cards are just a bunch of government red tape to be dodged or swerved... or just gotten through at the bare minimum.

20. Yeah, I think I must be remembering wrong then, it was a while ago.