Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[EU] WRB'S hurt the most

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by robsalvv, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Sweden's SMC have done a literature study on road side barriers and their impact on motorcyclists injury during collisions. Not surprisingly, WRB's top the list - no surprises there. Here's FEMA's take on it. (Bold blue highlighting is mine)

= = =

The Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations
    Jun 4, 2015
    A literature study on crash barriers
    From SMC Sweden: a literature study on crash barriers and the impact they can have on motorcyclists.

The best barrier for a motorcyclist is no barrier at all. If the barrier itself is more dangerous than what it is designed to protect, no guard rail should be installed. Since there are bridges, threes, steep mountain roads, oncoming traffic and other obstacles in the road environment, there will always be a need of barriers to protect the road users on roads and bridges. But, a barrier is never safe, only less dangerous that the risk behind the barrier.

According to all tests carried out, barriers with Motorcycle Protection System, MPS, gives the lowest risk of injury, whether the rider slides into the barrier or is sitting on the motorcycle. We therefore choose the term MPS in the future since it gives positive effect, mainly in sliding but also in a sitting collision. In a collision where the rider is sitting, sharp edges and corners as well as posts sticking up over the barrier has a major significance for the outcome of injuries. Most studies show a lower risk of injury for collisions with concrete barriers compared to the w-profile and cable barriers, some displays of comparable severity.

Guardrails with unprotected posts and protruding parts lead to the most serious injuries. Smooth barriers without unprotected posts, provide less risk of injury. Several studies have excluded accidents with cable barriers depending on the low number of accidents. The risk of injury in collisions with cable barriers was higher than all other barrier types.

Click here to read the full report.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Interestingly the last time I was on the Black Spur I noticed under run protection had been added to some barrier areas. That should protect against direct contact with the posts. I must admit those WRBs give me the willies. Commonly you see where there has been a collision enough to take out the posts but the wire is still unstretched and attached. The a lot of time elapses before these posts are repaired.

Good to see some actual real data, the NSW/NZ study found that design standards have been updated to include Rub-rail systems. In their conclusions:

In conclusion, the present study provides the engineering evidence for the substantial protective
    effect of rub-rail systems for motorcyclists in collisions with roadside barriers. Rub-rails installed
    on steel W-beam barriers improve the safety of the roadside for motorcyclists, and can provide
    cost effective solutions in areas with a high density of motorcyclist-barrier collisions. Several
    observations have been made that support the recent revision of the Australian/New Zealand
    AS 3845.1: 2014 Road Safety Barrier Systems and Devices Standard and design advice available
    to road authorities regarding motorcyclist impact testing of barriers, in order to justify the installation of rub-rail
    systems in Australia and New Zealand.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Even before I started riding I didn't the WRB's. Especially, as cjvfrcjvfr you noted that after a collision with them, the loose wires are often just waiting for the next victim to come along and to wreak havoc on. Cars and bikes alike.
  4. look out next time you come down my way. The Bellarine Highway is having kilometers of the damn things fitted. If you think they are scary when they are fully installed, imagine what it feels like riding past kilometers of posts with slack wires before they get tensioned. No roadwork protection or lane closures at all. Why they need to fit anything at all along kilometers of straight divided highway is beyond me, let alone these deathtraps
  5. It's to stop midblock "run off the roads" into the trees and also to stop vehicles crossing median strips and verges that resulting in head ons.
  6. They see it as a way of stopping dozy drivers straying across the median onto the opposite side of the road. I don't know what the statistics are on that kind of accident but it seems to be the mantra in road design now days. It is a boring straight road that one, I try and avoid it.

Are they putting it down the sides as well as the centre Simon?

Snap: Rob beat me to it. :)
  7. both sides of each carriageway. God know where you are supposed to pull over to if you have a breakdown.
  8. I've often thought the same thing
  9. I see them every time I work in the Bellarine. Why didn't they spend the money on fixing the road surface instead. Yes I know, it's a stupid question LOL. Even my boss, who doesn't ride has said how dangerous he thinks they are.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Said this since the day I saw the WRBs installed locally in late high school. I didn't ride then, and I avoid riding near them when possible, but the road safety people seem to love them because they're cheap and effective at keeping cars either from crossing barriers or being spat back in to traffic as with no barrier or the good old armco.
  11. Armco or the old steel wire 'cheese grater'

Both should be renamed 'widow maker'