Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[EU] SAFERIDER riding technology summary report

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by robsalvv, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Have a gander at the future of riding:

It summarises the output of the technological component of the EU's SAFERRIDER research project which focussed on integrating Advanced Riding Assistant Systems and On Board Information Systems to help make riding safer.

ARAS topics are:
    = Speed Alert
    = Curve Warning
    = Frontal Collision warning
    = Lane Change Support

(None of that sounds like advanced riding to me)

OBIS topics are:
    = e-Call
    = Telediagnostics Module
    = Navigation and Route Guidance
    = Weather Traffic and black spot info

Read more at the link.
  2. At first glance, this looks like simply cage thinking superimposed on riding without any understanding of riding at all.
    It presupposes that riders are as disengaged and most drivers are, and that riders' only purpose is to get from A to B (in the same way as car drivers). It also presupposes that crashes are caused by the same factors.

If you rode in that way, you would want to ride at all. Oh, wait...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Seriously dislike "Warning" systems based on "maps".

Firstly, maps? Do they honestly expect maps to mimic real life terrains - what if the pot holes are not recorded in the maps and the trajectory is deemed safe based on a static map?

Secondly, ... warning systems and Human Factors do not necessarily go together in a high concentration activity. It could potentially distracts the riders and introduces additional risks.

I am tempted to hazard a guess that the author has not ever attempted to ride motorcycle himself or herself, but maybe they wrote the paper just to get their research funding / paper published / PhD. Let's try running the ALL the sub-systems together and see how safe it is given the amount of additional complications to an already complex exercise.
  4. Motorcycle manufacturers and FEMA were involved in the project, the latter only because there was no one representing the rider in this research project so they negotiated their way on.

Your point is a good one, because one of the rider criticisms is exactly that the technology doesn't actually help with the task of riding. Haptic gloves, seat and blinking lights can take the rider focus away from the task at hand.

One tester decided to start playing the numbers, to see when he could get the technology to give him warnings - not an approach the safetycrats would want riders to take I'm guessing.
  5. I loved the gps....
    How full on was that screen....

I love and use my gps but honestly, I would have thought keeping things simple is the way to increase safety, not tuning your dash into a fighter pilot cockpit...

Totally cager mentality
  6. My first (paranoid) thought was that it's only a short additional step from 'warning' to 'intervention'... for our own good, of course.
  7. I think it's BMW that are working on the uncrashable bike. I put a thread up a while back... The frame has a rotating hinge that allows the front end to be "rolled" to counteract a rider's steering input - or some such, CBF finding the thread. Internally, I rail strongly against such a technical imposition.

I can't see it ever being mass produced but even working a conceptual design has my inner rider screaming obscenities.

If the concept is that riders are making errors, then fix the root of the fricking problem. This technology approach is just going to breed a whole generation of numpty riders with NFI.
  8. email just in from FEMA / EU.

cut & copied because the link appears to be broken

"New European rules for motorcycle gear"

The European Parliament decided this week that motorcycle gear is protective clothing that will have to meet European standards.

Until now only protective (motorcycle) gloves, boots and impact protectors were seen as protective gear and had to meet certain standards. Today the European parliament decided to include all motorcycle gear in the new protective personal equipment (PPE) regulation.

This means, that in a few years’ time all motorcycle gear that is sold in Europe has to meet the same safety standards. They will have to provide a minimum amount of protection against abrasion and impact.

Just like with boots and gloves now, there must be a label inside the gear that confirms that the gear meets the European standards and what level of protection is provided. Also information about maintenance, storage and use must be given to the buyer.

The exact standards and when all motorcycle gear in the shops must meet them are not known yet. It might even take some years. FEMA will inform the riders of all new developments.

This new regulation does not mean that riders are obliged to wear only approved clothing. This regulation is about selling approved protective clothing and not about wearing it. As far as we know the European Commission has no plans to make the wear of approved motorcycle gear mandatory.

FEMA’s General Secretary Dolf Willigers commented: “When all motorcycle gear meets the standard you know what amount of protection you can expect. This is consumer protection we don’t have now. Of course the new standards will have to meet the needs of the riders, but with the information we have now I have all confidence that this will be the case. As long as the European authorities will not use these standards to force riders to wear only approved motorcycle gear, and we will see to it that this will not happen, standardization of motorcycle gear is a good thing for riders.”

Helmets and visors are outside the scope of this regulation: they are covered by UN ECE Regulation no. 22.

Note to the editors:
    The European Federation of Motorcyclists’ Associations (FEMA), represents riders’ rights organisations from the whole of Europe in the European institutions and the United Nations to have their voice heard in an early stage in the legislative processes concerning motorcycling. More information on www.fema-online.eu

Press contact
    For further information or to receive future FEMAs news and press releases please contact the secretariat on telephone: +32 (0)2 736 90 47 or by email: infofema-online.eu.
    Mr. Dolf Willigers can be reached directly by email d.willigersfema-online.eu or by mobile phone +31 (0) 613269211.

(I may kick this off on a thread of it's own given this was buried somewhat ?)