Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Epilepsy Foundations new recruits

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MattyB, Jun 8, 2006.

1. just a warning, if you have a habit of handing over money when feeling guilty or sympathetic like i do, lock the damn door and disconnect the door bell

The Epilepsy Foundation (either delibrate or unknowingly) must be raking in the donations in my area, as the door-to-door person is a 16-18yo mentally disabled kid. without knowing much about it, i'm guessing he has down syndrome.

anyway, he knocks on the door and recites what he's been told to say:
    "hello my name is david i am from the epilepsy foundation would you like to make a donation" (he wasn't aware of his ryhming talent)

i was caught off-side, yet i had a wad of notes in my pocket because i was planning to go out on saturday night with some old work mates.

i instinctivly replied "sorry mate, i'm flat broke"

and the look on his face..... speechless :(

he said "ok no money have a nice day bye" and turned to walk away.

i stopped him and asked if i had to fill anything out, and that i'd donate

i ended up handing over $80, and it made me feel like i made his day, but i'm pretty sure he'll unknowingly guilt trip everyone in my street to part with their money.

good side - The Epilepsy Foundation will get nice fat donations, which is great!!

bad side - well.. i dunno, seems like they're using him, and i doubt he's getting good money from it. not to mention i can't go out on saturday, haha (no loss, maybe i saved a life or 2 with my donation, :D).. but yeah.. if you can't afford it but have cash on you.. you better have an ice cold heart.
  2. Hahahahaha! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
    They're cross-disabilitifying for maximum results. Brilliant! Send out the land mine victim to collect for red nose day!

/Wouldn't work on me
    //Heart of stone
    ///Make him dance for the money
  3. What? You got "Everybody dance now" by C&C Music Factory cued up next to the front door :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But that is a good tactic that they are using... or a really good actor... look for the gaurdian behind the bushes :)
  4. I can't use my old trick any more (start turning the light on and off really fast... :grin:).
  5. I reckon it's a great idea getting the people who have epilepsy out there collecting for the cause. More often than not, people with disabilities don't get to work for a wage so this is 1 way in which they can do something productive and see the benifits :grin:
    Maybe one day the young man in question can point to an object in his community residential unit, say a BBQ, and proudly state, "I helped raise the money for that BBQ"

The above is of course a hypothetical situation ;)