Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Epilepsy and riding

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by I Adore Vic, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I'm doing my Ls in 2 weeks and have been told I'll need a letter from VicRoads stating I am safe to ride. Reason for the letter is I have Epilepsy.

The epilepsy is controlled. I had it when I was a teenager (not the 'fit' type of epilepsy) and it was well-controlled by medication. Was on that medication for many years till after the birth of my 3rd daughter 11yrs ago and then doctors were so happy with me having no 'episodes' they took me off the meds for a trial.

I was fit free - off medication - for 10 yrs, then last May out of the blue I was driving home with the kids in the back and had a fit behind the wheel. A full on fit. My first ever. Foot slammed on accelerator and we ended up in a ditch on side of the road with the wheels spinning under us.

Car caught fire. People pulled up and got the kids out, and I came to as they were taking me out.

Can't stress enough how lucky we all were....and that we ended up in teh ditch in only a single vehicle accident.

Licence automatically cancelled for 12 months. Straight back on the medication I was on as a teen and I haven't had a fit since then.

VicRoads gave me the okay to drive again this year.

Now that I'm about to go for my motorbike licence I of course am concerned about the ramifications if this were to happen whilst on the bike....yet I am confident the epilepsy is controlled and I do look after myself (in ways of not getting overtired, stressed, drinking too much, taking meds on time etc)

I am wondering if anyone else here is an epileptic, and if so, how did they go about getting their bike licence. Was it a relatively simple process? What was involved? Did you require a letter from your GP (I'm assuming I will) which was then sent on to VicRoads medical board for consideration?

Thanks all.