Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Epic comments on news story

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Liq, Jun 17, 2009.

1. http://www.news.com.au/comments/0,23600,25649230-421,00.html

Gunman holed up in mc'ds.
    Check out the comments?

There was like this little McWog and this big McWog and he said "I wil lget my fully sick McBros' eh!" Then is was like "Chk, Chk .....McBoom. There was special sauce and pickles flyin everywhere.

Posted by: Skip of from somehwhere over the rainow 1:06pm today
    Comment 12 of 33

2. some of those comments are great.

I think we can also pin the recession and global warming on this guy. Coincidence? I think not.
  3. I think those are tongue cheek at the fact the gun laws have done fcuk all. :p
  4. fair enough - I interpreted it as just another stab (albeit sarcastic) at the Lab govt copping blame for stuff over which it had no control but yours makes sense. I didnt totally miss the sarcasm there, but have learned something from you today nonetheless :p

On guns and howard I'm usually the first to stand up proclaim my dislike of the howard govt, but the one legacy which I am happy he left us with is the tight gun control. He screwed us over in other areas, but gun laws are and will be a positive legacy.

I'd say the gun laws have been fairly successful overall - sure once or twice a year there are shootings, as there are without queston illegal guns in the hands of crims. But Oz is not defined by gun crime and these are the exception rather than the rule.

For sport shooters, there are a few extra hoops to get through which I imagine must be frustrating. But on the upside, guns are harder for crims to get their hands on because guns are harder to get. And for your average "falling down wannabe" who has a meltdown, the chances of them getting hold of a gun during the course of their meltdown are fairly slim. Not aware of too many high school massacres in oz, Columbine style. The only one I was aware of happened at Orara high school in the early 90s from memory, and it was not a "massacre" per-se - 3 injuries and no deaths.

Port arthur was another story. A tragedy pure and simple, and the catalyst for gun control. Thankfully we've not seen anything since, and I think the restrictions on gun ownership contribute to this.
  5. I dont think Australia was a gun culture before the laws, and the port arthur rifle was an illegal gun anyway isn't it?

To me, that just sounds like SA's recent "we dropped some country road limits from 110kph to 80ph because there were some fatal accidents there recently" bullshit...because the 3 fatalities accidents all happened in 80 zones, between only 2 crashes, where speed was not excessive and one of them was a 17 year old, inexperienced driver.

Anyway. thats a whole other issue.

Shootings once or twice a year? Are you joking? Fatal shootings in city cbd's that make the media, maybe. Have you been blind to the melbourne gangland shenanigans, as just one example?
  6. You say it's cool that there's not many shootings these days.

When was there? Before the Port Arthur knee jerk gun reform?

Nothing has changed.
  7. ](*,) :jerk:

8. The seige is over, and just in time too, the pols won't have to drive too far for the evening burgers :LOL:.
  9. ?
  10. agree with roaster. cant see anything wrong with what he wrote.
  11. yeah true enough about the gun culture before the laws. But other aspects of Australian culture now do not really resemble what it was in the 80s / 90s. Around the time before the gun laws were put in I also dont remember a culture of glassing people in the face but it seems to be fairly widespread practice in pubs now (no honour in cutting someone up but it is happening more frequently it seems).

Culturally we evolve and are inclined to adopt practices from other countries, particularly the US - glassings, happy slapping, halloween, stabbings blah blah blah. I think part of the reason we haven't developed a gun culture akin to the US is because of the difficulty with which guns are obtained, not because it wasn't the culture of the early 90s.

Perhaps port arthur had the potential to change the culture for the worse. Had the laws gone the other way (ie more relaxed gun ownership so that people felt safe) I wonder what the gun culture would look like in australia now? Port arthur weapon was a semi-auto which prompted the crackdown.

True, once or twice a year might have been an understatement. But even 6 times a year is peanuts when you look at countries withmore relaxed gun laws (brazil, mexico, USA - more like 6 times per week).
  12. Roaster if you think that the statistics are really that low, your living in a very, very sheltered world. I could probably find 6 shooting stories from the last month on news.com.au alone if I tried. I remind you that not nearly every incident even makes the media.

The US, like here, tends to find that guns used in crimes are illegal, unregistered, etc. If we truly do mimic other cultures, then i'm sorry but it's only a matter of time by your reasoning untill it occurs over here as well.

The parallels with speeding are similair. Fast and the furious spawned a racer culture. Government here makes a massive crackdown on speeding. revenue goes up in multiples, but does the fatality rate make a similairly spectacular dive? Not a chance.
  13. ok gun laws, howard biggest mistake. why should me and my father, as law abiding people have to hand back some of our guns? the port arthur gun was and illegally owned firearm, as are almost all of the firearms used to in shootings.

here's a fact. it is easier and cheaper for me to buy and illegal gun (either semi auto or otherwise) then it is for me to legally buy one.

and with regards to port arthur, semi auto or not, if you have any experience you could use a bolt action and fire as fast.
  14. I heard the guy was angry because maccas wouldnt change the name from McFries to McFarkenChips mate

so he went out the back and pumped a few mcnuggets in the farken mc toilets

15. This article basically nails it: "Violent crime is determined by fundamental economic and sociocultural factors, not the mere availability of just one of an innumerable bevy of potential murder instruments."

16. Maybe we need some statistics to prove our respective points.

maybe to a certain extent, but in the US to get a firearm, you go through some arbitrary licensing process and get a gun at your friendly Wal-mart. Simple as pie. In oz, you go through a lengthy process to get access a limited array of sporting firearms. To get the non-legal, non-sporting stuff, you have to go through the black market. Sure, there is a black market in firearms in oz, but even without the aid of statistics I am certain that it is much harder to arm yourself in australia than it is to arm yourself in the US. That simple fact alone must have a significant impact on the culture of guns in oz.

Again, some statistical evidence would help us both prove respective points. I can't be ar$ed to be honest, but am happy to be proved wrong if you can be ar$ed digging it up?

But interesting point about the racer culture being "spawned" after a few crappy US movies. Shows that 3 B-grade trash movies from the US can contribute to the spawning of a copycat sub-culture in a matter of years, and that our culture is ever evolving. Hence "australia does not have a gun culture and therefore never will so we should relax gun laws" is not a sound argument.
  17. Maybe because they (in the US) have the healthy outlook that law abiding citizens with clean records should be treated as such and not treated with suspicion, contempt and like children that can't be trusted with bugger-all - this does not exclusively apply to firearms.
  18. An interesting article. But my first impression was that it was not comparing apples with apples.

It is saying gun laws have no bearing on violent crime / murder rates. This is not what the discussion has been about.

I'd rather see the correlation between gun laws and violent crime / murder rates involving firearms.

Crime will happen in any society, that is a given. The more desperate the members of that society, the more likely it is that crime will happen.

The fact that violent crime can and does happen was never disputed. The hypothesis that we have a low gun crime rate relative to countries with more relaxed gun laws is what is being disputed.

Seems Don Kates has done a fair bit of pro-gun literature. Looks like interesting reading though.

I completely disagree that it increases vulnerability. It just ups the ante when violent crime is committed. Violent crime will happen anywhere. I would hope that violent gun crime is less likely to happen in countries with tighter gun laws. This is not to say that tighter gun laws will make it happy marshmallow love land, but that when crimes ARE committed guns are not the default weapon of choice.

I disagree with this as well. Surely easier access to firearms for all parties is a surefire road to empowering criminals at the expense of the innocent too?
  19. Google the UK & gun crime. There you have an excellent example of a virtually disarmed populance facing gun crime/violence.