Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

EPA (VIC) says it's ok to ash cigaratte out window?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by highon2str, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Was in the car today and saw this nice lady in the car infront of me ash her cigarette out the window. See this a few times now on numerous occasions and also had ash flying towards me while on the bike. Thought I'd dob her in to the EPA, fill in the online form and it turns out "EPA will not take action where a person only ashes a cigarette" :meh:

Has this law recently changed? I remember a mate of mine telling me a few yrs ago that he got done ($80 from memory?) by the EPA because someone reported him for ashing his cigarette out the window?

Attached Files:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Throwing the cigarette butt out the window is littering, not discarding cigarette ash.

Justus.

3. Such a snitch that you are snitching on people for not breaking the law.

I'm looking forward to this thread.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lol... Tried to anyway, until I found out it was perfectly ok.

I suppose that then makes it ok for me to clear my throat of all the ash I've inhaled, rock up next to them, lift my visor and spit through the window back at them?

5. Do that out my way in summer and you're likely to start a bushfire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. If you've managed to have ash fall out of a car window, fly through the air and somehow make it into your lungs on enough occasions to make this such an issue for you then you are 1 unlucky person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. #7 Kamikaze_Kawasaki, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Although it is a nuisance to us, ash isn't seen as an environmental hazzard. Also, some cars don't even have ashtrays these days. The focus is on cigarette butts because they litter our streets and the obvious risk of starting a fire.

It's perfectly legal to tap the ash off a cigarette onto the footpath when you are not in a vehicle. Why, would being in a vehicle need to be treated differently?

8. If you don't have an ashtray from factory, you can buy one??

9. In NSW if someone flicks their butt out the window during fire season they can be charged and you are encouraged to report them to crimestoppers as it has caused a number of destructive fires over the years. I don't think this would apply to just ash though. I have no idea what the situation is in Vic in this regard.

10. we dont have fires here

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. And a pedestrian can carry around some sort of container...... I still don't see how sitting in a vehicle is any different to sitting at a park bench, or walking along while 'ashing' a cigarette. Dropping the butt is illegal, and people inside or outside a vehicle can be charged with 'littering'.

12. I would have thought that this was pretty straight-forward; cigarette butts are both physical pollutants and possible fire-hazards. Ash is already burnt and disperses quickly into the atmosphere. The law draws a line between the two. (And, no, I'm not a smoker, and yes, I agree it's a dirty habit).

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ash ok I guess......butts NO! Please, they start fires out in rural areas.

14. Have been ashing my smokes out the car window since day dot. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody whinging about it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cigarette smoke/ash is pretty revolting to a non smoker. Just because something isn't illegal doesn't make it the right thing to do.

16. What's not right by one's standard may be right by another's.

You'll just have to learn to deal with it.

17. I find people taddling to the authorities about someone elses minor non indiscretions beyond repugnant.

But hey, it only matters what you find revolting. Ill alert NASA that the world has shifted on its axis and is now firmly revolving around you.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Who here remembers getting into a smoking carriage on the train, holding off a spew til the next station, then tumbling out and getting into a non-smoking....I can.
    And while I'm on it, what about the smoking section on 'planes......OMG (as Britney would say)

19. Cigarettes sold n Australia have a chemical that puts them out if you stop smoking them, this was introduced by law several years ago so I wouldn't worry to much anyways
    lol at the dobber