Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

EPA Exhaust Test on my CBR1000RR [vic]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MrtypeR, Apr 26, 2010.

1. So i recieved a letter in the mail that a copper has filed a compliant to the EPA that my yoshi R-77 pipe on my CBR1000RR is too loud so now i have to go get it tested and ensure its under 95 dB!!

well i measured my bike at idle and its 106dB! (bout 50cms back and at a 45 degree angle)... i have yet to insert the extra piece i got with the exhaust to make it quieter but im hoping it will get it down to 95!! finger crossed!!

So has anyone had to go through this test before? and if so how is it tested? Just at idle or reving it at a certain rpm?? and at what distance etc..

If its still to loud i may need to put the std exhaust back on!! grrr what a pain!!!

2. what a wank of a coppa, spose he sends a complaint every time a harley passes him to, fair dinkum
  3. there is a sticker on your bike that says for example 92db @ 5400rpm etc...

tested @ 1m
  4. My Fireblade is fairly loud, but when a Harley pulls up beside me, I can't here it at all....and when we take off together, mine is silent. This happens with EVERY Harley I come across.
    Yet they'll complain or wanna test some poor buggers sportsbike...
    Pisses me off!!!
  5. they will test it at 3000rpm at 1m from the exhaust.
  6. yeah i know... harley's are soo loud!!!! my old 250 with a screaming demon was pretty loud (but safe) but then i upgraded to the new blade and put a yoshi slip on and yes it is louder than stock its not overly loud untill you rev it past 6k.... im hoping the silencer will cut it back abit... fingers crossed!!
  7. Don't think this will be the last thread on this, apparently, they had 750 vehicles last week alone so letters will be arriving over the next few weeks as noise blitz will continue until 1st May.
    I agree, this all sucks.
  8. . . . . . . . . . .
  9. The EPA regs refer to the ESMP (engine speed maximum power) Data Manual (which is a bit out of date). The closest bike to yours (CBR929rr) develops max power at 10,250rpm so the noise test may be done at 5,250rpm. However, the National Stationary Exhaust Noise Test procedures say that if your bike cannot be found on the ESMP data manual, a default of 3,000rpm may be applied.

6.1 Microphone position
    6.1.1 The microphone shall be directed towards the orifice of the exhaust outlet and shall be supported by a tripod or similar device not providing excessive acoustic reflection. The general requirements for positioning microphones are shown in Figure 2.

6.1.2 The nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall be substantially parallel to the test site surface and shall make an angle of 45 degrees ±10 degrees with the principal direction of gas flow from the exhaust.

6.1.3 In selecting the 45 degree alignment from the outlet of a motor cycle fitted with two or more outlets, only the angle resulting in the microphone being farthest from any other outlet must be used.

6.1.4 The height of the microphone above the test site surface shall be equal to that of the orifice of the exhaust outlet ±25mm but shall not be less than 200mm above the test site surface.

6.1.5 The distance of the microphone from the exhaust outlet orifice shall be 525mm ±25mm.

6.1.6 For motor cycle fitted with one exhaust outlet the microphone shall be placed so that the greatest possible distance is achieved between it and the contour of the motor cycle.

6.1.7 For motor cycles fitted with two or more exhaust outlets spaced less than 500mm apart only one microphone position shall be used. The microphone position selected shall be in relation to the outlet nearest to the external side of the motor cycle, or when such an outlet does not exist, to the outlet which is the highest above the ground.

6.1.8 For motor cycles having exhaust outlets spaced more than 500mm apart, each exhaust outlet shall be treated separately as if it were the only one.

6.2 Vehicle operation and noise measurement
    6.2.1 The motor cycle shall be stationary and held in a substantially vertical position.

6.2.2 The engine of the motor cycle under test shall be operated in accordance with one of the following procedures: Where the ESMP for that engine has been determined by the testing authority, the engine shall be held steady at a speed as close to 50 per cent of ESMP as the testing officer can achieve and then the throttle shall be returned swiftly to the idle position;

OR Where the ESMP for that engine has not been determined by the testing authority then the engine shall be brought to and stabilised at a speed as close as the testing officer can achieve to one of the following speeds:

i) for a two-stroke engine 3750 rpm
    ii) for a four-stroke engine:
    • of Japanese origin 3000 rpm
    • from Harley Davidson 2500 rpm
    • of other origin 3000 rpm

iii) Where, in the opinion of the testing officer, the test speed determined by reference to the preceding is not attainable by the engine then at the maximum speed that the testing officer believes that the engine can be safely tested.

and then the throttle shall be returned swiftly to the idle position. A single noise measurement shall then be made by noting the maximum noise level indicated during this procedure.

6.2.3 The specified procedure shall be repeated until such number of readings, each within a range of 1dB(A), as the testing officer considers appropriate have been made. For the purposes of this sub-paragraph non-integer decibel readings are to be rounded downwards to the nearest whole decibel.
  10. so nice to have a simple forumla..... lol
  11. Gosh ! There must be some seriously bored people out there, if they need to get the geometric angles and distances so accurate for these tests !
    We're all being scrutinized by boffins, again needing to do something in fear of losing their jobs...what IS the world coming to ?!
  12. simple to say that test at idle won't cut it. Change pipes for the test.
  13. I think that is great advice from Dazzler.
    Mate, all the best with the test and please do keep us informed.
  14. Please don't think I'm seriously bored, I've been through it before and researched it before the test. Just thought I'd pass on the bounty of my previous labours. The biggest thing I noticed was how old many of the standards and procedures are. EPA Regs 2003, ESMP Data Manual 1992, National Stationary Exhaust Noise Test Procedures for In-Service Motor Vehicles – April 2000.

Re the technicality, any Aust Standard that could result in a criminal penalty applied for breach, must be able to stand up to scrutiny as to objectivity, authenticity and sufficiency. My biggest concern is that the agencies undertaking the 'tests' are generally just tyre and exhaust retailers. In my case the apprentice fumbled around with the testing devices for nearly 30 minutes trying to connect it up before asking the boss for help. They couldn't find the tripod so held it in place by hand. Because I had researched, I knew what they were doing wrong and could have used it in court I suppose. Didn't though.

Again . . . stock pipes for test.
  15. Wait a second, so the ESMP Data Manual goes back to 1992, so anyone with a newer bike will just get tested at 3,000rpm?

EDIT: Looks like they did a revision that brings it up to Y2K. They mention engine series though, so theoretically people with later years might be testable under thos econditions if the engines hadn't changed? Fortunately my F4i is a PC35U, not a PC35E like they mention for the F-series :D
  16. Wouldn't it be cylinder dependant though?
    3000 rpm on a twin is noisier than 3000 rpm on an il4
  17. True Smee, looking at the ESMP data, the twins are all tested at lower rpm than any four. and Harleys are a protected species it seems. . . .

Harleys are all tested around 2,500rpm. (2350 - 2700) and 3400 for the Sportster v2
    Buells are from 2400 - 3050
    BMW twins from 2800 - 3750
    Ducati twins 3500 - 4750
    Honda CB250 (Still a twin) at 5000rpm
    and my baby (a V4) at 5,250rpm 'cos it has max power at 10,500rpm.

It is all to do with the rpm that the bike produces max power.
  18. Can harleys even reach 3000rpm? :-s
  19. do we even care?:eek:hno:
  20. I can see one of those worthless little leeches from my office, writing down plates.