Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(EOI) heated vest group buy

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Woodsy, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Well i'm oficialy over this crappy cold weather in Vic.
    I'm going to go and buy a heated vest before the QLD ride.

Any one interested in buying one and trying to screw the suplier for a better price???

Retail about $275

2. Don't forget to buy the matching skirt to go with it mate :rofl:

just joking :wink:
  3. As much as I love buying gadgets on a whim, I don't really have much of an issue with my torso ever getting cold - the right clothing and I'm toasty! So as sad as it is for me to actually say this, I couldn't really justify the money on a heated vest.

Now heated hand grips is another matter - those I could really use! Heated socks too :LOL:
  4. Woodsy, any idea what discount price they would do for a nominal number of buyers??? You might generate more interest... possibly mine too...
  5. I can keep the body warm enough, but I'm with bluesuede; I'd like some heated SOCKS, does anyone make them???

{answering his own question, (thanks, Google) YES, they do!! http://www.thunderboltsocks.com/ }
  6. I can "screw" the supplier for a good deal if you get a definite number of interested people. I'm not interested in going through the motions of group buys :evil:
  7. Maybe?

Price dependent I'm a maybe? I'd probably be interested for $200 or less.... Not sure if they would go that low of course. I've just bought a Dri-Rider Nordic jacket, before that I'd have paid anything to be warm, but I'm doing OK at the moment.
  8. Still a maybe

I'm sure you're right. I could go more possibly. I'll stay posted and see what happens. Just one more freezing ride could see me prepared to pay the big bucks.
  9. +1 :grin:
  10. I might be interested, price dependant. Haven't actually picked up my bike yet so I don't know how cold I'm going to get when I'm riding. But I do get cold easily, and the vest could also come in useful given I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of my spare time hanging around ice skating rinks!! :)
  11. I spend about 14 hours a week on the bike commuting in all weather. When its below freezing and you're in it for hours EVERY DAY then you can tell me I'm a pussy for having made my own heated vest.

I won't believe you though :)

I used this recipe:

Basically I bought a bunch of wire from Dick Smiths, the smallest insulated wire they had.

Stuck each end of it onto a 12v battery, and waited 5mins to see how hot it got. Cut it shorter to make it hotter. Ended up with about 4-5m of wire, drawing about 4Amps.

Then I pinned the wire zigzag onto a cheap polarfleece vest, and stitched over it to hold it in place.

Added a plug, and made a socket for my bike.

Total cost about $18 including vest, wire, plug/socket.

Disclaimer: this is what I did. Not necessarily what you should do. You may be silly enough to electrocute yourself, stab yourself with the wire, strangle yourself with the vest, or similar idiotic difficulties. You paid $0 for this advice, that's how much liability I owe you. If you want to sue someone, go buy a commercial product from someone who gets money off you.
  12. That's very cool, hotcam. If I wasn't such a lazy f*cker I'd investigate further.
  13. I am pretty handy with a sewing machine (even if it is dusty atm)
    Loz.... you do the wiring aspect, I can do the sewing :)