Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

entry speed and braking points

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by twistngo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. I'm OK in corners if I get the entry speed right but at the moment I'm tending to be a bit slow. (Did a course a while ago and I now turn much faster but can't get the brain around braking later. Bloody SR's). I use marks to turn in etc but stuffed if I can work out braking markers. I gather its experience?

2. Experience and riding more than once or twice a week if thats what you do.
    You'll always need something up your sleeve as you wont always know the road and dont turn in to early.

You could always weight the inside peg :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Runs and hides

3. Pfft, brakes just slow you down, if you wanna hold more corner speed dont brake, you'll be fast in at least the first part of the corner :cool:

4. slow in fast out, imo is the best way to ride.....but learning your braking marks is (unless you just ride the one piece of road) is about being able to read the road and what it's doing and where it's going.

5. Braking markers is a race-track tool, used to consistently judge when to brake for some corner that you're coming up to for the nth time at high speed. Doesn't apply to road riding normally unless you're cutting laps on some favorite remote well known piece of road.

6. So I'll just have to ride more :grin:
    I weight the inside peg anyway :grin:

Back to technique there's a book by Lawrence Grodsky called stayin' safe ...
    and he recommends at least 3 secs for braking for corners.
    1 sec roll off, at least 1 sec braking, 1 sec roll on, and if you use less than 3 secs you didn't need to brake!
    This sort of works for me as it keeps the bike stable but the timing seems tricky.

7. Rubbish. Sounds like someone who is slower than a wet week, trying to over complicate riding.

Do a few trackdays where you can realise your bikes potential for braking late and deep. You will also realize your potential for stuffing it up and running straight on through the corner, but you'll be happier riding at a sedate pace out on the road at least. :grin:

8. Braking hard is not something you can just "do"...it takes time to get used to the higher forces at work, and adjust to it.

There is one critical point that "I" have found will make all the difference, and that is the transition point from HARD braking over to tipping in for the corner. It takes some time to develope the skill to manage that in a smooth transition....and is quite a bit easier on the track for the reasons that FLUX pointed out.

So...if you want to run into a corner a little faster...get your braking over earlier, to give yourself a little space in case you are too late on the brakes. What I mean is....brake as hard as you like, but be finished with it prior to tip-in...don't carry your braking all the way to the tip in point.
    THAT way, at the point of tip-in your bike is alread stabilized, and ready for the corner..which will better facilitate your running in faster..

John.

9. thats the one! I have my speed set too early and have to "coast" to the tip in point. looks like its off to the track :grin:

10. Alot of it, is timing...which is sometimes difficult toaquire on unknown or unfamiliar roads, mate.

On the track, you know the corners, can see through them easily, and you get to know it well enough by the repitative nature of the track...even then... it can be difficult to transfer your timing to the open road due to all the additional variables. Not to say it can't be done with reasonable success...just that it takes longer and you have to keep something up your sleeve, since you cannot commit fully to the corners out there.. :)

John.

11. Pick your vision up so that you give your brain time to process everything that is going on. Don't go with hard braking, work on being smooth. Smooth is fast, smooth is safe(er).

Better to set your speed a little early than too late and eat scenery.

12. thanks for all the input. I'll do an advanced course next year and hopefully sort it out. I'm not that bad though. I ride a twin with a lot of engine braking and get around without using the brakes much, which is probably a bit of a flaw I want to fix (and probably why my distances are out when I do use the brakes.)