Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Entry level boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by RIDDLER, Sep 9, 2012.

1. I've picked all of my gear and I'm picking it all up next weekend (pay day could not come soon enough).
    Just a question around boots though, I'm stocking up for the summer, and have been told to stick with boots over shoes for protection.
    I'm tossing up between some Dainese Giro-ST boots for $320 or TCX Boots for $280.
    The Dainese fit well, but the zip was uber hard to do up, and the TCX fit like a treat..
    But should I say with the brand name? Do they really matter in the end?
    Thanks in advance!

2. $300 should get you BMW All Rounder boots, Italian made, great for walking and riding (y)
  3. I was looking for boots with as much protection as possible for my first pair - ankle, calf, shin, toe etc. I was originally going to go with Alpinestar SMX-5 from Peter Stevens at $299, but then I found AMX are selling Arlen Ness boots for $200 on clearance (usually $299) and in my opinion they're brilliant. Protection where I want it, easy to do up, and comfy as hell. Not seen a bad review anywhere and after a day's riding I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

4. rjays will sell you a full height leather waterproof (tried and tested, always been dry) boots for a 120 dollars if your looking for the cheaper option. no where near as much ankle protection as a race style boot, but cheap. I bought them when i was too noob to be riding heaps fast, and while i waited for my race style boots to come in.

If you just want your foot in leather with a solid toe box and some heel and ankle protection, i would go for them, wear them for 6 months or so before you need to step up to a race boot, then keep them for wet rides or long tours.
  5. $300 is "entry level" :-s
    Only paid $60 for mine (yay for Aldi :)).
  6. Yeah, I was going to say something like the Rjays Tour AM is a decent boot for not too much money, but then all your pics were quite technical looking race style boots. Not was I was thinking when I saw 'entry level'.
  7. Just a sturdy pair of work boots is all you need.
    Boots dont really protect anything,just make riding more difficult.
  8. It would be more helpful if you let us know what type of riding do you do? Do you plan to walk around in it a lot? Are you looking for waterproofing?
  9. If you get the wrong boots I can see how they'd make riding harder, but if they fit properly, bend in the right places and don't have silly bits that stick out in the wrong places, then that's not true at all.

As for not protecting anything... you're kidding, right? My feet, including my toes, ankles, shins and calves, are fairly useful parts of my anatomy. Any boot that protects all these things well and won't disintegrate or get torn off in a crash is a good boot.

Should a new rider skimp on safety gear? I can't see the logic behind that. Sure, a new rider might be more cautious, and may travel at a slower speed, but is also more prone to making mistakes and is still subject to the same number of other dickheads on the roads as everyone else, without the skill to avoid them as easily.
  10. [​IMG]

On a serious note, I got a pair of Oxstar TCS evo's for around $200 at a clearance sale, they're amazing boots and seem to be in your price range.
  11. Yep. Given how many people wear jeans or maybe kevlar lined jeans, then GP or DPCU boots is all you need.
  12. I ride in a $29 pair of elastic sided work boots (non steel cap).
    They are sturdy and cover the ankles.
    To pay an extra 2-300 bucks for racing boots is insane.
  13. Must... Not... Feed...
  14. And when you can afford to buy a Harley you only need thongs.
  15. If you know it all,why pose the question in the first place.
    Look at any of my pics and you will see work boots.
    When YOU have the motocycling experience I have,perhaps then you can make smart arsed comments.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. What question? This isn't my thread.

I assumed, based on your form, that you were trolling. If not, then you're just giving shit advice.

You want to wear elastic work boots, and you're lucky/skilled enough to get away with it, that's fine, but recommending it as the best choice for a beginner is just fvcked.
  17. What facts do you base all that on ?
  18. You want facts? Try TAC. Remember, it's up to us to reduce the risks.

And if the TAC don't know what there on about then who does?

In other news, Dick Chenney is a well balanced individual and I want him to be my friend.
  19. Common sense, mate. Think about it:

Elastic-sided workboots are better than thongs, and at least there's no laces to get tangled in anything, but they're not a brilliant choice as far as protection goes. They've got nothing to help stop you rolling your ankles (protection against sprains/breaks), no protection against impacts on your shins/calves (from the bike landing on you, or something hitting you), and because they're elastic-sided they can easily get ripped off your feet in a slide.

As an experienced rider, you're probably a way better judge of what works for you personally, but as a noob (and I freely admit I am), I'll take whatever I can to improve the odds against making a rookie mistake.

Honestly, I was thinking I'd just wear my work boots to ride when I first thought about riding, but then I spoke to a lot of people, read a lot of info, and saw a ton of videos and images of what can happen when shit goes to... well, shit. It can happen, and I'd rather spend $200 now than wish I had when I've only got one foot.
  20. Perhaps even go quail hunting with him, I've heard it's quite enjoyable.