Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Enjoying the learning process

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by lodea, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hi all,

So, after a bit of a break from riding (~13 years) I bought a bike last month. Have been taking it fairly easy up until now because my skills are rubbish, very rusty...

The thing is that I used to be a pretty good rider and to be riding around knowing the mechanics of how to ride well without having the feel and connection with the bike that allows you to ride smoothly, quickly and safely has been kinda frustrating. e.g. I wanna be able to plant my knee down without thinking about it but the reality is that I've still got ~1cm of unused tread on the sides of my tyres. And this frustration, while coming from a different perspective, seems quite similar to the angst I felt when I first started riding.

I couldn't wait to handle corners well enough to keep up with the older blokes with a few years under their belts, then I couldn't wait to get a faster bike as soon as my license allowed (bought my 1st 1100 at age 18...), etc.

But the thing that I have realised from the last couple of rides is that, while I still have a very long way to go to get my skills where I want them to be, I have been getting a kick out of just how rapid the learning curve is when you are starting out.

I am well aware that riding bikes is a continual process of improvement, you'll always be learning no matter how much you ride. But the satisfaction of getting rapid and significant improvement is something that will only last a short while, after that it's all about nuance and refinement.

So, I guess my story is to keep in mind that if you are trying to improve but have only been riding a year or two, you'll never improve as quickly as you are right now. Don't rush and ride above your skill level trying to get them where you want them rightybloodynow, that will happen regardless if you ride with an open mind Take note of the moments you do figure something out and savour them.

2. I rode on the road from 18 to 20-something and stopped. In the meantime I raced motorcross/supercross up until about the age of 26. Decided to get back into bikes this year and bought a GS500F and due to a RTA bungle, had to go through the L's/P's again. (Spoke to an instructor an HART in St Ives and found out I'm not alone with this problem.)

I have to admit that the first couple of months back in the seat were a bit tentative but the body seems programmed from my previous experience. That and the fact that I rack up the k's an astonishing rate. One thing though and this is probably due to my age, I haven't allowed myself to become too complacent - this alone has immensely helped keep shiny side up.
  3. I've been riding for 4 months now, and you're right, the rapid learning curve is great, as long as you do the kms. I've done 4700km or so on the GSX, probably 1000km on the bike I had before that. I ride every day to/from work, and try to get in at least a few hours riding on weekends. I've done maybe 8 or so all-day rides.

Every single time I get on the bike, I learn something new. After 4 months of riding almost every day. And still, I well know that I'm still mucking about in the foothills of the learning curve, and when I look up towards the top of the curve, I'd see a towering mount Everest of stuff I have yet to learn.
  4. Good post - Hope Noobs are paying attention to you, Liam.
    Patience and calculated, planned progression is the only way to get there.