Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engineering chart

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' started by Garido, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Bit complicated, but I hope you get the gist! :angel:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Aaaaaah, the good 'ol speed tape...fixes everything !
  3. Hey Nikkers, mate of mine used to tell me that joke above all the time, with alloy tape in place of duct tape.

He worked for QANTAS maintance... :)

-posting on phone; spelling likely fukd
  4. A very real thing, mate.
    'Small panel on leading edge of starboard wing, between section 4 & 5 leading edge flaps, missing. Measuring 2in x 1in. Speed tape applied...

The above is NOT a real case scenario but just an example of what is acceptable to be 'missing' for an intended flight. Speed tape is extremely durable and lasts for many duty cycles, believe it or not. Though this may be the case, the part would be inspected upon landing and if required, fresh speed tape applied, though it wouldn't be required after the initial application for a few sectors. Some seriously strong stuff right there !
  5. Arent leading edge flaps called slats? :angel:.
    My uncle tells me theres nothing sticky tape cannot fix!
  6. Yes mate, spot on ! Also referred to as Leading Edge Flaps but you are 100% correct.

7. Who're you callin a sl@t - can't? LOL.

Should I rouse up the pics of the ultralight that got eaten by a bear in the Canadian wilderness? They patched it up with cloth tape and flew it home. It was long walk.

Why not?

8. I'm sorry guys, but I am going to be pedantic.

LE Flaps are hinged against the wing and do not let any air through. They are camber modifiers. Slats can look the same, but there is a gap between the slat and the wing. A slat will direct air over the wing to keep the airflow clean, but may relieve some pressure from the underside of the wing. For a given speed this can decrease lift, thereby increasing AOA if they are deployed, but will delay stall and increase the AOA potential of the wing, which allows it to make more lift again. They will normally only be deployed when the airfoil gets near to a condition in which it may stall.

For comparison, an F/A-18 or F-16 has computer controlled LE flaps, and a A-4 has automatic slats, a late model F-4E/S has automatic slats inboard and fixed slats outboard, and the F-15 has neither.

An interesting case on LE Flaps and slats is the F-4 Phantom where later E models and S models were fitted with slatted wings to improve their maneuverability. Prior to this they had a complex LE Flap arrangement for slow carrier approach speeds, so they had to use other methods to keep the approach speed low with the new wing. If you're interested, it's worth reading about.

9. So true.

Mythbusters did a whole episode on duct tape, and they also tested the bear-attacked light aircraft being fixed with tape, too. Amazing shit.

However, I hope everyone knows that WD40 is a pretty ordinary lube... What you need is this:

10. Hahahahaha... nice. I think I remember the mythbusters episode but that looks a fair bit more elegant ;)
    The pilot must have been an engineer or a technician or something? Or just damn handy
  11. What can I say? Every pilot is an engineer. It goes with the territory. If you're not, then you don't deserve your wings.

A pilot is a professional risk manager, who knows how things work. Like the stereo-type ship's engineer with the Scotts accent on StarTrek. A pilot is trained - above all else - to manage complex, fluid, flexible, hazardous situations and bring the people home the best way he can. Just like Scotty on StarTrek - he is the very definition of engineer.
    [edit] A bit drunk - sorry if I ramble ....
    Can you think of a better job? Can you think of anything more .... admirable? Test pilot: civilian. Test pilot: Military. Fighter pilot. ("Kill or be killed - that's what I do. How 'bout you?") Astronaut. Can you imagine stepping backwards off a ladder, in a back-back & a pressure suit, onto the orange soil of Mars, knowing you pilotted the craft down on manual, and telling the watching human race "This is one small step for one man, but a giant leap for mankind."?

I got to see Neil Armstrong step off the ladder live, as a 6 yo child. I really pray I'll get to see the man step off the ladder on Mars before I die. It would mean a lot to me. I don't care if his name is Weigt Phong Who and he was born to a peasant family in the central Chinese province - I just want to see mankind go further.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kneedragon,
    Again, I agree with you mate. A pilot with a varied background of experience will indeed be an 'engineer' also, whether having applied themselves in particular studies towards 'Engineering' or otherwise.
    The idea of becoming a Test Pilot is something which has never left me. In fact, we have several of them where I'm currently employed and have already expressed my interest in 'one day' being involved in this 'team'. To even be considered, one of the requirements is to have tertiary and/or previous military experience, the latter which I don't, sadly.
    I studied Aerospace Engineering towards both Associate Diploma and Bachelor (Degree), the latter combined with Business Administration (ie Double Degree)...
    I guess that would make me somewhat of an engineer also ? ;)

One day (fingers crossed) I may have the chance to be 'that guy' who tests aircraft by putting them through their paces before certification or regular testing.

The sky is indeed the limit <--- This includes being up on one wheel too (y)
  13. Don't tell the owner you called it an ultralight, I'm pretty sure that's a Piper Cub.
  14. Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1