Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engineering certificate for Subframe modifcation

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by HasBas, Oct 4, 2016.

  1. Hi guys,
    Im new NR
    Ive been curious about a lot of people conducting Yamaha Virago Cafe Racer projects.
    While the end result looks absolutely amazing, Im curious as to whether you would need an Engineering Certificate for any subframe modifications, rear monoshock conversions etc.
    Thanks lads and lasses
    hope to hear back from you!

  2. Welcome to the site, I think ??? Subframe mods are OK but any changes to suspension where mounting points are moved or changed require an engineering certificate.
  3. Yep, you would.

    However - a lot of people doing the RWC's won't have any idea what they're looking at.

    If you construct the subframe from a similar quality material and with the same kind of welds, and it's finished the same and isn't taking the piss with its design you could totally get away with it.

    The main question should be is a virago 250 cafe racer actually worth it? It's got a four speed box, is kinda sluggish and just 'okay' to ride. A SRV250 is pretty much all there and done already. And it has a five speed box and (I believe) better heads.

    • Like Like x 1
  4. As I've said before, I reckon Yamaha missed a trick by not making an SRV535 with the 535 Virago motor. Would have knocked spots off a (standard) SR400/500. Then again, maybe that's why they didn't.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. That thing would have been terrific. I'm thinking they didn't bother because the 535 wasn't the greatest seller they had and Japanese licensing laws wouldn't have helped sales domestically.

    There's still room for a good V-twin with classic looks in a traditional frame. Yamaha nearly did it with their new SCR or whatever it is called but the proportions are all way too off for me.