Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine Wearing In

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Danzotron, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I ended up getting a new ZZR250, my dad went halves with me and I thought, for 3500 each, going new isn't such a bad deal.

But all that aside.. I've clocked up about 350kms on it now, and I realise the engine is still being worn in. I have been quite a cautious and calculating rider and had a lot of fun in the mean time.
    However my question to you is, during the engine wearing in, however unrecommended it is, there has been a few times I have needed to run the engine above, or around 6000rpm on highways and such, I have tried to vary the RPMs as much as I can on the freeway (as I was told) without slowing down traffic or pissing off other drivers on the road.. I guess I'm asking, is the wearing in period as sensitive as everyone seems to imply? I'm keeping it within recommended RPMs where ever I can, but sometimes it's just not practical. Will this fcuk my bike in the long term 20,000kms in? Or is the engine a lot tougher than most give credit for?

2. Completely normal, okay, and won't do a single bit of damage to your bike's engine.

A ZZR250 engine should last you at least 100,000kms, if not a lot more.

3. Thanks mate, thats cleared up a few worries for me :)

4. Wearing in is a pain in the ass IMO, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules. Manufacturers say do X RPM for the first 1000kms, other sources tell you giving it a bit of welly is also a good thing for it in bursts...I think ride it as you usually would, that's normally varied enough to do the job.

5. The bike would have come with a really cool booklet, with this sort of information in it.
    It also has lots of other really cool information about your bike and how to operate it. No one seems to read them though.

Regards, Andrew.

6. In my opinion and recent experience, do an oil and filter change now!!!

do another say at 650 and get the 1000 done by the book.

I did a change at 190 and was shocked at the crap that came out of a new bike.

Oil and filters are the easiest and cheapest way of prolonging engine life and I have and will continue to do the changes at mid points between scheduled services along with a magnetic oil plug.

As far as the run in process, up and down thru the gears and do not stay at a constant rev count or too low or redline. Don't forget that you are also running in the clutch, drive chain, brakes.....well everything!

Congrats on the new bike

Jeff

7. I did read it, my question is in regards to breaking the rules / advice IN the booklet. Thanks for keeping the thread constructive though.

8. sounds like you're doing it right. when I got mine the dealer said the occasional squirt was OK. I think they have special oil for the first 1000k so maybe don't change it until then. if you treat it right it just runs smoother and smoother.

9. the info in the booklet is often legal in nature. How do you think people would view advice in the owners manual to "give it the berries" when the most likely time your are going to bin a bike is in the first 3000miles or 5 months of owning it (according to the Hurt report).

Many books now say "Use all engine speeds but no full throttle starts until the first service".

The zzr has nearly been in production for 20 years! The owners manual will still be 20 years old as well.

10. Congrats on your new bike, Dan!

Actually, I got my manual before I was able to buy the bike, and read through it all :LOL:

11. Just be aware of warranty implications, if not run in following the manual.
    But keep varing the revs...ie don't sit at a constant 6thou for 5 minutes, but going over now and again should not damage the motor.

12. At 1060km mine was as clean as a whistle Jeff. (posted somewhere here)
    The mechanic was NOT surprised either. Current oil has 1500km on it and it has barely changed colour.

How about those 4 cyl Suzuki's eh :LOL:

Ok back on topic :wink:

13. We've been down this track before :LOL: :LOL:

14. :biker:

15. One of the mechanics at a major Sydney store told me that, despite the fact that you're not supposed to rev new engines, one of the tests they have to conduct on new bikes is the rev-limiter test. Most of those bikes then go on to live a long and happy life :) I'd say that if you slightly overshoot the prescribed break-in rev limit a few times, it shouldn't be a big drama.

16. initial 800 km below 6000 r/min
    up to 1600km below 10000 r/min

or just rev the $#1t out of it

and sell it when your off the P

I would have got a cheap naked for learning on and saved the cash for a zzr600 if you like that shape

17. The manual with my bike suggested less than half throttle for the first 600km's, followed by less than 2/3rds for the next 600km's.
    The mechanic told me to ride it however I intended to ride it during it's life, just don't sit on any rev for more than a few minutes at a time.
    Seems to be running in fine, performance is really starting to come in and the sound is getting better all the time.

18. Mate as long as the engines well and truly warm dont be scared to use the full rev range. This is essential for a proper run in, progressively give it more load and revs. Being too soft on a new engine wont bed the rings in properly and will glaze the bores.

Oh and yes its pretty essential to vary the load and revs - not sitting at one speed too long.