Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine / transmission oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by inline4allday, May 30, 2014.

1. Hi all,

About to do my first service on this bike. After reading through the Haynes manual I'm lead to believe that the engine oil and transmission oil on my 02 YZF R6 are one and the Same? As in they are not separate and are filled/drained when engine oil is replaced.

Can anyone confirm This? I have been a car man my whole life and applying what I know about cars is confusing the hell out of me.

Cheers bones

2. That's correct. It's been pretty much standard on japanese bikes since the ~60s and most of the rest of the world followed suit. The only common exceptions are Harleys, which persist with a layout developed before WW1, and bikes with longitudinal crankshafts (BMWs, Honda Goldwing and ST variants, Moto-Guzzis and maybe one or two others I've forgotten) which tend to have car type clutches and separate gearboxes.

The common sump layout is one of the reasons modern bikes still have much shorter oil change intervals than modern cars.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention 2-strokes, wheren the engine's operating principle pretty much precludes having oil in the crankcase. Oh, and scooters, most of which don't have a gearbox in the conventional sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well that has spun me right out. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Those bike are probably shaft drive and some do have wet clutches and engine/gearbox oil are the same. My V4 ST1100a and the ST1300 for example.

Not necessarily so with the oil change interval. Both ST models are around 12,000 km oil/filter changes or every six months.

------------------
    Most bikes tend to have a wet clutch so you can't or shouldn't use a normal car oil. Some of the guys in our club are using diesel oil and it seems to work for them. I just use any motorcycle oil and go by price rather than brand name but using Castrol 4T 15w-50 at the moment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Fair enough. I'm not that familiar with the insides of the ST series so made an assumption.

But yes, all the (modern era, we'll ignore Indian 4s and similar) longitudinal crank bikes I can think of are shafties.