Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine swap for a mechanical noob

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kolaemcee, Dec 14, 2011.

1. G'day guys,

I'm a proud owner of an '06 GS500F, it's done me no wrong for the 30,000k's I've put on it... until recently, lack of maintenance from my part and I spun a bearing. My mech says not to bother trying a rebuild, get a new motor.

A motor is expensive enough, but my mech quoted me 1k to swap the new one in. I've thought about trying to do it myself... but my mechanical experience extends no further than oil changes, chain and wheel adjustments. Should I try giving this a go myself, or is there too great a risk of stuffing something up? If you guys reckon I should give it a shot, can you please outline what exactly I need to do, eg what I need to unplug/take out in what order, etc etc. Assume I know nothing (cos I pretty much don't!)

Cheers in advance!

2. Possibly a little steep but not outlandish. Works out as 10 hours at $100 an hour. I'd expect an experienced mechanic to be a bit quicker than that but it's not ridiculous.

Definitely worth trying it yourself. On something like the GS an engine swap is pretty straightforward. If you're methodical about it there's a limit to what you can do wrong.

First thing you need to do is get a manual for your bike. Haynes are good. Suzuki is better. Clymer are OK (I don't personally like them but that's a style thing not a content complaint). The manual will tell you all this in a logical, step by step manner, with photos.

Couple of additional points. Get a friend or a friendly NR to help. Engines are heavy and it's no fun trying to wrestle one into the restricted space in a frame on your own and then trying to hold it in place with the bolt holes lined up while you get the bolts in.

Second, the engine mounting bolts will (or should) be f'ing tight. Make sure you've got access to good quality sockets of the right size with a decent breaker bar to lean on. You won't get them out with the toffee open-ended spanners from the factory toolkit.

3. Why not have a go urself, what you got to loose! I'm doing one on a Gsxr600 at the moment.. +1 on getting the engine mount bolts off.. Very hard, had to make a special tool for the "Thrust Adjusting Lower Engine Mount Lock Nut". Make sure you got a good manual, and an engine jack. Label everything!!!

4. Have a go. Changing over a bike engine is a walk in the park compared to car engines. As said, engine bolts are tight, but I'll warrant they are nowhere as tight as my supra's harmonic balancer bolt :s. 2 metre breaker bar and it wouldn't budge.

5. Well.
    My old Supra's harmonic balancer delaminated spectacularly.

6. It's not a hard change. Not worth paying a grand for someone to do.
    Plan it for the weekend and you will be fine.
    All the above with manuals and a mate.
    I would get some masking tape and mark both sides of what you undo with the same number or letters. Makes it easier when putting it back together to look at the old motor and see where you have A1 if you know what I mean. With only a little knowledge and those crappy pic's they use It can be hard. May take a few minutes more but with the electrics it's so worth it.
    When you have the motor out I would be checking your swing arm bearings as well you neglectful bastard. Also a little rust proof on some of the major scratches hidden under the motor and surrounding areas. Steering head bearings will need a check too. You should already have the tank and stuff off to make it easy.

7. Thanks everyone for your input!

I'll definitely be having a go at this then, I've got a couple of mates who will hopefully help out for a slab.

I found a good motor, 14000km on it so I'll be grabbing that soon and having a go at it. I'll try and get it done over a weekend, I'll keep you guys posted.

As for breaker bars, I do have a 2m one lying around somewhere, hopefully that's enough for the job... and cheers bretto, I'll make sure to have a look at those things.

8. Er, yes, I think that might just about do it :shock:.

9. Rofl! who has a 2 meter breaker bar lying around?

My workshop is fairly well appointed, can accomplish most tasks. But I dont have a 2 meter breaker bar. I have the standard half inch sidchrome breaker bar. Hmm, I do have 5 meters of Gal pipe that fits over the bar effectively extending it, so yeah I guess I have a 5 meter breaker bar lying around. :)

10. I like rattle guns!

11. Easy, Put the bar & socket on & hit the key!!
    I do it all the time at work!!

Me :D !!!

12. I thought about that AFTER the engine was out of the bay and on the stand :-s Wasn't much help by then haha. Eventually got it off with a 1" rattlegun.

13. :rofl:

Yeah learnt that years ago!!!