Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine sometimes choked

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Noel, Jan 16, 2005.

1. I have a Suzuki DR650SE. Every now and then when I go to gun it with full throttle, the bike starts to speed up but only at about half of the power/acceleration that it should be speeding up eith. It's like the carberettur ro something gets choked or isn't getting enough fuel. So i back off the throttle and give it full throttle again and it goes back to normal. Once the bikes back to normal, this doesn't happed again for a little while. I think it usually happens after I've been cruising along with not much throttle - then when I go full throttle, it shits it'self like i just explained above. It's a new bike with 5000ks on it. Why do you think this happens?

2. This might be a silly tip, but are you in a gear that doesn't work well with the speed to give you good acceleration when you need it? Like if you're in sixth gear at 60kmh-1 and you decide to open throttle to full, you hardly get any acceleration, while at fourth gear, if you do the same thing, you get good acceleration?

If you're doing the gear shifting right, then when it does happen, do you hear anything odd from the engine, like does it splutter or knock. Do you get a different smell from the exhaust than normal?