Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine rebuilds

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pragnasty, Jun 22, 2005.

1. im the sort of guy who likes pulling things apart and seeing how they work.
    i also want to improve my mechanical knowhow with motorbikes.

i was thinking of buying and old engine from the wreckers and rebuilding it to see how she all works??? not really looking to get it actually started i doubt i will, but do you think this would be a good idea for some one that wants to get into the spanners later on in their career path?

has anyone done something similar and could suggest an easy engine to work on? i was thinking a v-twin,(two less cylinders i dont have to worry bout) cheap to restore and readily available for parts/manuals

something around 500cc+ NOT A POSTIE BIKE :LOL: and not a hardly :p

i was thinking i could also mount it onto a gokart frame later on for some fun as well.
    (as in gixxerkart https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7456 )

thoughts? :idea:

2. Love the idea, but personally I'd want to get it running, just to make sure I've put it back together correctly :shock:
    Anything from the 80's would be a good start, such as a Suzi GS (cheap, basic engines), but I wouldn't be too worried about the number of cylinders (singles, twins, fours ... whatever).

Manuals can be downloaded free for most bikes, (I'll try to remember where from and post later) but the 'proper' way is to do it without, throw everything into the same box & then try to work out what fits where when you put it all back together again afterwards :LOL:
  3. Hey prags, what a great idea
    Many years ago I was involved with a small private school and I scammed a Corolla engine from the local wrecker and taught the senior boys how to pull an engine apart AND put it back together again. I enjoyed it, but they LOVED it!
    Get any motorcycle engine and a selection of reasonable tools, keep track of the SEQUENCE in which you pull things apart, and keep bits from various major areas of the engine together (top end with top end, block with block), etc, and have a ball.
  4. Each time you do this, there'll be a part left over. Do it enough times and you'll have enough leftovers to build a second engine.
  5. sounds like chairman has done this sort of work before!!!

6. Top idea!!! I started with an old 4stroke loanmower... some british built thing... still have the motor... still runs fine!! (I was 14 than)
  7. love the idea :D

I've been planning to do the same but I havent owned a bike bad enough to require the rebuild :p
  8. you know you want it androo, comes with 2 manuals too :D could pull it apart and play with it till your hearts content :wink:
  9. I think we've already firmly established that I want your bike :LOL: :LOL:
  10. I'm half way there 1

engine REASSEMBLY is not something I seem to be capable of.
    someone recommend me a book, seriously, please I fcuking beg you - fcuking engine markings, I just dont get them : (
    I understand how it all goes together, but how it goes together in relation to everything else - fcuk, ill have valves opening randomly fo sho
  11. haha can I assume you have a service manual for this?
  12. Easier engine to work with would be a honda cb 250 motor.
    Everything just comes off easily and you may actually get the thing started.
  13. Tis a great idea... go for it.

I started at about 12-13yo with a 2 stroke single cylinder lawn mower engine, then a coupla years later did a 4 cyl 4 stroke lawn mower engine (VW 1500cc :p )

Then became an Apprentice mechanic, stayed a greaser for 19 years.

There are some good "all purpose" books around, such as the Haynes "Techbook" series (Motorcycle basics, Motorcycle fuel system etc etc) other publishers will do similar. Those along with a copy of the manual for the engine you get and your off and running!!. (Manny, you reading this?)
    Websites and forums devoted to the particular bike are also a great source of info.

Don't skimp on the quality of tools when you buy them, good tools will last for ever, cheap K-mart brand etc are only good for making "specially modified" one off tools.

Get into it, you'll love it :wink:

14. Awesome. yeh I read =p I'll get myself a haynes manual asap1

I fiddled around a bit today... looks like I might be able to get it together after all..
    i think most of my problems stemmed from me being a procrastinating asshole.
  15. Procrastinating eh! nah, call it "sensibly cautious"

I used to be lazy, but now I call myself "Indolent" It makes it sound so much classier... :p

As long as your enjoying yourself, who cares?

16. =P Indolent it is then!
  17. look at the honda xl/xr500/600/650 series opf engines.

They are torquey, simple and there are lots of small variations out there to play with.

There are also lots of aftermarket parts available.

Easy to tune too, only one carbie. If your just getting into engines these are perfect.
  18. we should organise a few people to rebuild an engine together :)

everyone chip in a bit for the purchase price and it (hopefully!) wouldnt take as long as doing it alone, but we could still learn heaps :D