Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine rattle (sounds like cam chain noise)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by 6ixxer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hi,

I've been trying to sort a rattle on my GXSR600K1 that has under 20,000km on it.

Sounds like chain rattle; comes on a bit passing through 4-5krpm and a bit noisier decelerating through those rpm.

I've adjusted the tensioner however and the rattle hasn't gone. Its getting to the point where I think the tensioner is getting over-tight (whirring noise which sounds like guides and the idle rpm is dropping) and the stupid rattle won't go.

...So now i'm doubting it is actually the cam chain (as they apparently shouldn't need replacing for many many more km than my bike has).

Any diagnosis tips to help determine if its something else to do with the cams/valves or whether it could be lower down like crank, etc?

I'm planning to take the motor out over the holidays to swap out a worn 2nd gear so the ideas can include having the motor out and apart (2nd appears worn due to previous owner(s) being knobs so anything related to rider abuse can be included).

Much appreciated,
    Trev