Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine power issues, or flat spot for speeds > 0km

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Gef, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Tired old zzr250 which I only still have because I can't currently afford an
    upgrade.

While riding to a friends, no obvious issues with the running of the bike, I took off from the lights without as normal and caught up with the traffic and
    suddenly the power output from the engine went to about 1/3 of the normal
    output. I pulled over and looked over the bike, not sure what I expected to
    see, but everything sounded fine, and the revs sounded smooth. It just wasn't converting that noise into power.

My initial thought was that there was a spark issue, so I pedaled the bike (well, rode it at pedal pace) to my friends where I pulled off the tank &
    checked the plugs. Both exhaust pipes were hot, and the plugs looked fine
    so, nothing obvious there.

I had to get the bike home, so rode it in it's current state a total of about
    25-30kms with no change.

I've checked the fuel lines, and they are all straight without kinks, the inline filter, which has always been there, was clean and about 80% full of
    fuel. So it seems fuel is getting _to_ the carby without issues, Though I
    didn't try turning the choke on while riding it to see if it wasn't getting the
    fuel it needed

If it was water in the tank, I would have thought that would have had
    a more dramatic affect (coughing & spluttering). I'm assuming that I'll
    have to pull the carby off & clean whatever gunk has accumulated there.

I'm capable with a spanner, but no mechanic, so any ideas / tips?

2. drain the carbies for starters, see if there is water in them

3. Check the compression, you may have done a head gasket, symptoms sound like you've dropped a cylinder.

Had the same happen in the old car the same way, pulled down to the lights fine, driving sedately, took off, and lost half the power.

I did the same as you, checked the spark plugs for immediate problems, no hassles, wasn't til I had two cylinders showing 270kPa apiece it was obvious, only in your case, it'll be one cylinder down on compression. (I got $300 from the cube factory for that shitheap... :twisted:)

Take the plugs out and dry crank it tomorrow, before you start it just in case. Had a friends EF falcon almost take my ear off as it sprayed water next to me when I removed the plugs to crank it, cracked head and a cylinder filled with water after sitting for an hour to cool down. if you get it running, check the radiator for bubbles. [means that the head is forcing air/fuel into the system, if the ZZR is watercooled, but oil can cause as much damage, so do it either way]

It may seem like it's running normal, and it is - fuel is still being burnt, however the pressure is escaping the cylinder