Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine oil gone fast, why?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Digitalwingx, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Hello I'm very new to motorcycle so this is probably a newbie question.

Today I noticed the engine oil droped from a bit over half to the bottom on the oil gauge, after about 2 hour of riding.

Maybe it's because I tends to ride at high RPM (4-6k) which caused this? On the owner's manual it says you might need to refill the oil more often if you ride it fast.

I hope this is not caused by something mechanically wrong with my bike... :(

BtW which engine oil should I buy?

Any insights are appreciated.

2. It might help if you advise what year/make/model your bike is... and how many kms it has on it.

3. It's a 2001 Kawasaki GPX250, with 17600 km mileage on it.

4. The most important thing is to ensure you are checking the oil on even ground and exactly the same way when comparing before and after.

To answer you question, no, it should not be using that much oil and if it is then something is seriously wrong.

As you are new to bikes and the fact that the motors in those things are bullet proof I would be leaning towards the way you are checking it.

Does it have a centre stand? If so, use it. Top it up, go for a good ride and check it again.

See how you go and get back to us, we'll go from there.

5. Don't they have a redline of 12-13000 rpm? So 4-6000 rpm is babying it. My old Bandit redlined at 18000 and was ridden accordingly, lol and I used sweet FA oil between changes.

I think you may have got off the bike and looked straight away at your sight glass? If so check it in an hour and it will probably be all there. With wet clutches, the oil gets chopped and sprayed into every nook and cranny in the engine case, so has to make it's way down again.

6. +1

also did you just change the oil/filter? If you did then you need to add a bit more oil after letting it idle for the first time.

Also +1 in that you are babying it. A bike like that needs a few more grand on it to make it work properly.

7. I have an 01 gpx250 and it doesn't use a drop of oil.

+1 to what the others have said, it'd be the way you are checking it.

8. Don't check it as soon as you get off the bike. let it sit for a few minutes to allow drip-down to happen. The oil system pumps the oil around the bike, and while drain-back valves help in this regard, there will still be a lot of oil galleries that normally drain and bearings that empty. I'm gonna hazard a guess that you checked it immediately after.

9. i owned a GPX250 aswell it used no oil so this is strange is the bike blowing any smoke?

10.  Top
  11. Unhappy ending.

12. Glad netcrasher could solve another problem. :woot:

So what was the oil level when you picked the bike up?

13. Zero, but the coating on his back tyre was impressive.