Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

engine degreaser on bike and chain?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by torque, Dec 21, 2009.

1. hey guys, i was pretty bored today so i decided to clean up the bike a little.

i was wondering, is it okay to use a car engine degreaser on a motorcycle and on its chain as well?

and once all cleaned off, lub the chains after? what chain lub should i use, and where can i get it?

this is its current condition

under the cover - thick oil build up

anything else i need to do?

2. Use Kero to clean the chain. The engine degreaser could affect the o-rings in a less than positive way.

Do lube up the chain after its been cleaned. I personally brush on 90w gear oil, but you could use a motorcycle specific chain lube if so inclined. Supercheap Auto has both the oil and lube.
  3. Kero would be the only thing I would use. as mentioned if the harsh chemicals in the degreaser start to dissolve the material that the O-rings are made from then that would be bad for the chain and your sprockets. It takes less than 10 minutes to clean your chain with kero. It would take 8 to do it with the degreaser. The cost of replacing a chain and sprockets has to be worth more than 2 minutes of your life :D
  4. Motul chain clean followed by motor chain lube 'road'. Done.

Alternative is clean with WD40, spray liberally, use a rag to 'dry it' then apply chain lube. Done.
  5. Keep degreaser AND WD40 well away from your chain.

Both of those substances are very good at penetrating and removing water and grease. O- and X-ring chains have cleverly designed little rubber rings between the plates and links, that are designed to store a tiny amount of grease to keep the chain lubed at the points where each link pivots.

WD40 and degreaser both degrade the rubber in those rings, and also penetrate past it to remove the grease. It's what they're designed to do. Without the grease those rings hold in, your chain deteriorates a lot faster than usual.

I wouldn't bother cleaning a chain at all. If you must be a f*cking poodle, use a commercial chain cleaner and then spray some lube on afterwards - but because most of the important lubrication is done behind those rubber rings, spraying lube all over the place every week or 2 is pretty much a waste of time too.
  6. just make sure you fill your radiator with it eh.
    fact - chain - no degreaser
    engine - no probs.
    CT18 is a better option for your engine.
    Kero is for chains
    off you go
    PS - by some bloody chain lube.
  7. Getcherself a Scottoiler and wave goodbye to cleaning or lubing chains. You might have to put a bit more effort into degreasing the back end of your bike though. As I don't clean vehicles (you wouldn't believe the peace of mind that comes from owning bikes that noone wants to brush up against, let alone steal), this isn't a problem for me :D.

I'm a bit cagey of commercial degreasers, having had one take most of the black finish off my K100 engine once. Everything on the market seems to be unpleasantly caustic these days. Oh for the benign Gunk and Jizer of my youth. I could use them to clean my hands without damage, and the pleasant smell even got me complimented on my after shave a few times.
  8. :-s i was asking for help since i am new to all this.

yes i have purchased kero after the above members have suggested, but seriously, was your comment really necessary?

and yes i did purchase some chain lube, which i did ask for suggestions on which product. ](*,)

anyways, thanks guys for the help, i headed out today and purchased some kerosene, chain oil (lube) and started work on the bike.

here are the results.

thanks again all!

damn it was messy work !
  9. sorry sport. maybe a bit harsh as im a chain nazi and every 7 minutes people ask about their chain. i might write a book on it.
    top work on the cleaning though. yeah its a dirty smelly job, but a chain cleaned stays clean. give it a quick scrub every few thou and a couple o squirts of lube ever other thou or 500 and it'll return many miles. motul factory line i have found to out do anything else i have come accross for lube but the ultimate as patb said is a scotoiler. stays lubed and clean all in one go and for a 100 odd $ from ebay with enough oil for 10 - 14k you cant go wrong.
  10. Hmm always an interesting perennial. All the pedalers of third hand info and supposition, assumption and inuendo come out from the net surfers closet.

Bollocks to not using degreaser and definitely invest in a Scottoiler.

Maybe I use the wrong degreaser, I only buy the cheap stuff, $2.95 at the local Eastcoast store. Anyway most are 99% kero with a sniff of surfactant (soap for the rest of us).

Maybe I havent been using it long enough, only 300,000Km and maybe I'm getting less than I should from a chain as a consequence, 70,000K average on my '98 VFR (DID XVM2 for the record - gold of course).

Maybe its because I ride rain, hail or shine. Fair weather riding is obviously deadly to chains.

Or maybe its the Scott Oiler, they're good (actually bloody good) but you still need to remove the abrasives from bearing surfaces periodically.

Definitely keep pressure washers away from the bike (caused me to only get 35,000k from the most expensive chain Chaingang supply).

Seriously, if you are a tosser you can ruin anything with no thought or mechanical understanding.