Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine Cutting Out???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Owen, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Hey everyone i have a question. I havve a yamaha zeal and a couple of times now when i have been revving high (well not that high 8K or so) and then come to a sudden brake the engine completely dies! Clutch in and everything and it only seems to happen when i am going up hill.

Any ideas????

2. sticky float bowls? maybe when your bikes at an angle the floats are sticking and not letting the bowls fill up with more fuel. As you rev it up the hill, the bowls empty out and starve the engine of juice?

just guessing....
  3. I was thinking it had to do with something like that. It does feel a bit like it is having issues with the fuel hoses or something. Dropping revs when its idling and such. Seems fine when i change to the reserve setting though?

I wish i knew how to fix it?
  4. Start with the basics (hoses, fuel filter, fuel tap, etc), and progress right through to rebuilding your carbs if necessary (not as daunting as it might sound, but setting them back up properly can take a bit of know-how - esp. with 4 carbies).

Get a Haynes or Clymer workshop manual. Get a parts microfische from your local Yamaha dealer. Photocopy the Microfische at your local library. Sit down and read all about how to service the fuel system. Note down the part numbers you will need (gaskets, seals, o-rings, carb kits, etc).Order the parts you know you will need and check to see if other likely parts you might need but dont want to buy are in stock.

Have a go - checking for sticky floats is quite easy - just pull the carbs off, unscrew the bowls and have a look inside.

Alternatively, you could try some of that Motul carburettor cleaner stuff you add to your fuel - I have heard it works quite well (2nd hand info).

Of course, the problem could be something entierly unrelated to the fuel system - maybe dodgy electrics? You won't know until you start isolating potential trouble areas...
  5. My old gsx250 used to do it when the fuel was low and I broke hard.
  6. I had a similar problem with my bike cutting out under hard braking which was easily fixed - side stand was slightly loose and was coming down slightly activating the cut-out.