Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Engine cut out at 80kms

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by NicMorgan, May 22, 2009.

1. Just to let you know I'm still a total noob, even though I’m not on the L square anymore.

Anyway I was riding to the Learner ride on Tuesday night going along Springvale rd at 80km when I changed lanes. I was about 20m in the clear from the traffic behind me (just out of a light), did a head check and changed lanes to my right with a little swerve across.

Here is where the trouble happened. During my swerve across to the other lane the bike started to slide to the left and then to the right then to the left and right again before it straightened. Dunno what I did, i suspect a very slick patch on the road. Anyway I was crapping my pants, thankful that I kept it up when I happened to look down and saw that the engine on my bike had cut out!?!

Thankfully there was a red light a little way ahead so I just slowed and came to a stop. At the lights the bike started again immediately, but I thought it was strange. I don’t think there was anyway I could have flicked the engine stop button and stalling seems unlikely.

The bike is brand new and has only done 1500km. I had its first service two weeks ago and has been running beautifully. Anyone got any ideas what I did, and how I can avoid it in the future? I realise that the lane change didn't have to be quite so dramatic as I was ahead of all other traffic and didn’t have to zip straight across.

Any thoughts?

2. how full was your tank?
    i wouldnt worry too much if its a brand new bike, shouldnt be anything serious, as it didnt seem to have happened again

3. maybe your bike stand jolted away from the frame during the swerve and engaged the kill switch?